Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of removing the engine on my 1992 VT 1100 to replace the water pump, I have been following the procedure in the Honda service manual.

One step is to remove the carbs, there are several hoses connected in this area and is very congested.

I understand in 92 all 1100's had the canister below the radiator, and all associated vacuum lines, valve, etc.

My question is: can I leave this stuff off when I reassemble. I think it is there for emission standards in another state, I live in North Dakota.

If any one has any experience on changing out the water pump, would appreciate any advice.

Thanks for any replies.

Timskinner

·
Registered
121 Posts
hoses

I have an 1100 ('97 Kahlifornia model)
I removed the smog crap.
There are two vacuum ports under each carb- small one (pulls the most vacuum) and larger one. Either connect with one hose (each pair) with a ball bearing in the hose, or plug each port. I use a hose, in case one end falls off, you can just reinstall it.
The upper (larger) vents are bowl vents. Tee them and leave it open to the air. Just allow enough hose so it can point down a little bit.
That should do it.
Remove the stupid gas tank vent line too.
MOST IMPORTANT- WHEN YOU REMOVE ALL THE VACUUM SWITCHES, CANISTER, ETC., MAKE YOUR OWN DIAGRAM. The diagrams in Haynes manual or the one on the bike are too confusing or too hard to read.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 1993 VT1100, and I pulled the carbs for cleaning. Upon re-installing the carbs, I left all the vacuum lines off. I capped them all. The only one left open is the vent. The TEE that joins, goes between the carbs is open, the bike would not idle with that capped.
Bike idles good, accelerates good, good topend.
Good thing I live in rural Ga. and not Cal. so I can safely remove all of the California emissions add ons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts