Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make my wife's Shadow fit her better. She's short. Has an inseam which barely lets her feet touch, and that's after lowering the bike 1.5 inch. Bought a pair of bars. Sorta like Virago bars. The idea being that it would have a lot more pull-back and they're narrower. Hands closer together+more pullback=straighter posture. Less stooping over to reach wide factory bars. BARELY enough wiring tucked away inside the headlamp bucket. Had to have a 4" longer hydraulic brake hose made up. Factory throttle cables have 90* bends up top. In the present configuration they almost interfere with the brake lever. Almost but not quite.
Then the forward controls. I'm sure I'll have to move those back a couple of inches.
I really don't mind doing all this. I like to see it come together and be just right for only her. I told her that if I knew it would be all this trouble I'd have married a taller woman. She knows I was joking. I hope. Maybe I'd tell her again before I fall asleep.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Trying to make my wife's Shadow fit her better. She's short. Has an inseam which barely lets her feet touch, and that's after lowering the bike 1.5 inch. Bought a pair of bars. Sorta like Virago bars. The idea being that it would have a lot more pull-back and they're narrower. Hands closer together+more pullback=straighter posture. Less stooping over to reach wide factory bars. BARELY enough wiring tucked away inside the headlamp bucket. Had to have a 4" longer hydraulic brake hose made up. Factory throttle cables have 90* bends up top. In the present configuration they almost interfere with the brake lever. Almost but not quite.
Then the forward controls. I'm sure I'll have to move those back a couple of inches.
I really don't mind doing all this. I like to see it come together and be just right for only her. I told her that if I knew it would be all this trouble I'd have married a taller woman. She knows I was joking. I hope. Maybe I'd tell her again before I fall asleep.
Wouldn't it have been easier to put her on a bike that fits? It's gotta be easier than going out and finding a taller woman at your age.;):lol:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
thought about seat alterations?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a fair question. She's the stature of a grade school student but she's a grandmother with a lumbar fusion. She needs lumbar support so what she did was take a fanny pack and stuffed it with some type of stuffing material. She removed the seat and ran the strap around it. With the stuffed pack strapped to the seat that way it supports her back fine. It moves her forward alright but it causes her jacket zipper to drag on the tank. We're talking about addressing that problem and adding a short backrest.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
^^^ Yup! ..Customizing the seat could put her closer to the ground, move her closer to the bars and add back support..

Russel Day-Long, Corbin too.. Just give them a call and see what they could possibly do for you.. The call at least wouldn't cost anything. ;)

·
Registered
18,127 Posts
Now you done went and did it...
I will be thinking on this for a spell...
First thought though, since seat alteration was already mentioned, I might suggest narrowing the seat at the point her legs will be in position to reach the ground while stopped...
I read things here, then as I ride I "experiment" with thoughts while I ride...Another quickie is elevated boots to lengthen her short legs, so to speak, The local cobbler might be able to add sole thickness/height to her riding boots(?)

Reminds me of a song lyrics " Baby, baby let me think on it" :) err sleep on it..
Hopefully she knows you were joking about that taller woman :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
A friend of mine with heavy lumbar problems has build a cheap driver's backrest using the... (i don't know how say it in english...) "headrest" from a Nissan car.
She can try for a few bucks if it's a solution for her.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
This might be a stupid idea, but what about putting a lower profile rear tire on it also? That should get her feet another inch closer to the ground. You'll loose a little bit of top end gearing, but she would be closer to the ground.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny you guys mention a headrest. I've got a headrest from a factory automotive seat I've been looking at kinda wondering how to mount the thing just for that.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Some good ideas so far. I have to agree with the seat thing. My mustang seat is slightly narrower than the stock seat so it feels like I'm closer to the ground. My sons seat measures the same height but has the original 2 piece seat on his ACE which is much wider than my Mustang seat and I feel like I'm about 2 inches higher. So a seat can make a huge difference plus if its a good one it will be more comfortable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll ask him for a photo and a little explanation so you can see what he did and how he did it but basically he unmounted the headrest from its mounts and attached it to a metal bracket that fits on his seat between the passenger and him.
An image is better than 1000 words (I finally have finded one on our own forum):

p.s. his bike is a GZ250, the seat is made of two pieces and not a single one.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
I understand the need to tinker with stuff, but why not just buy a bike that fit her in the first place? Riding is always a lot more enjoyable when you're on a comfortable bike that fits you just right.

V/R

SWOCS (ret)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand the need to tinker with stuff, but why not just buy a bike that fit her in the first place? Riding is always a lot more enjoyable when you're on a comfortable bike that fits you just right.

V/R

SWOCS (ret)
That's a valid question. I started out with a Virago 250. It fit her alright. Good little commuter bike for around town. At that stage of the game she had just begun to ride. She told me that she was planning on riding it on our Colorado trips. Not a Virago 250. Not a trip that long. I said "No Honey a little bike like that wouldn't be appropriate for a long trip like that." The next step was to go shopping. The Shadow is a bike large enough to tackle a 2400 mile trip carrying one person and a little baggage, yet still small and light enough for a small person to handle. Found one in a dealership. Like new. Favorite color. Good price. The rest is history.

·
Registered
723 Posts
.Another quickie is elevated boots to lengthen her short legs, so to speak, The local cobbler might be able to add sole thickness/height to her riding boots(?)
My RT has factory low suspension and seat but I still needed the boot option. Spendy but Daytona makes a fantastic boot with a platform inside to create lift.

Not sure how the clutch lever is on a 750 but if it isn't adjustable that maybe another consideration for her. Better control and less work when you can get your hands around them.

·
Registered
815 Posts

V/R

SWOCS (ret)
Got to agree, trike the Shadow or trade it for a Suzuki Thumper 650cc. The Thumper is the same weight and height as the Rebel 250.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That's a valid question. I started out with a Virago 250. It fit her alright. Good little commuter bike for around town. At that stage of the game she had just begun to ride. She told me that she was planning on riding it on our Colorado trips. Not a Virago 250. Not a trip that long. I said "No Honey a little bike like that wouldn't be appropriate for a long trip like that." The next step was to go shopping. The Shadow is a bike large enough to tackle a 2400 mile trip carrying one person and a little baggage, yet still small and light enough for a small person to handle. Found one in a dealership. Like new. Favorite color. Good price. The rest is history.
Did you do a lot of shopping around? I'm the opposite, I'm a bit taller than many and it took a lot of bike sitting to find a couple that I really wanted to spend time on. My lady is fairly average sized but it still took her sitting on almost every bike made before we found one for her. One little nugget we learned is not to pay attention to internet specs when shopping. One bike was listed as having a higher seat height than another, but when sitting, the taller one actually allowed her to flat foot it better than the other. Either way, I hope you have success.

V/R

SWOCS(ret)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts