Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approaching a small town below the speed limit; woman enters the road from the right, directly in front of me, and hit her ****ing brakes.
Only reason I'm alive is because I assumed she was gonna do that, so I pushed right--hard, and flipped her off with my left hand. No time to find my horn.

Had a half-empty lane with enuf room for me.

I was pissed. Had to say so. Feel a little better now.

You know, you develop a sixth sense; I could feel it coming. But still.

I'm as careful as they come. This **** can happen to anyone.

Just a note for new and returning riders. Maybe some old ones.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good job on the avoidance, but I'm not a big fan of flipping the bird to people. Especially on the motorcycle I feel it makes us look bad and inspires road rage. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Glad you're okay. I had a similar thing happen. I was stopping at a four way stop sign with no one around (I could see clearly to the right and about 100 feet to the left) so I quickly stopped then started to go when I heard the tires of a car coming FAST (you know that sound the tires make when the car is flying). I stopped quickly before I was too far over the limit line and looked to my left to see the car moving over to the other side of the road. All I could think of is What if I had continued into the intersection? I may not be writing this right now.

It really freaked me out since I haven't ridden in more than 10 years and I am a returning rider. I went home and settled down, then I went back out to get over it and learn from it. Now I make sure to stop completely at every stop sign, feet on the ground and I look really good to make sure I can see.

The part that pissed me off is that the car behind me was honking at me to go because he couldn't see the car yet! ***hole!

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Good job on the avoidance, but I'm not a big fan of flipping the bird to people. Especially on the motorcycle I feel it makes us look bad and inspires road rage. Just my opinion.

F U C K 'em. I give them the bird and, if they're stupid enough to turn and follow, I stop and we can "discuss" their assshole behavior. I ride packing at all times and I know the laws of my state.

·
Registered
274 Posts
F U C K 'em. I give them the bird and, if they're stupid enough to turn and follow, I stop and we can "discuss" their assshole behavior. I ride packing at all times and I know the laws of my state.
Haha fair enough. I am from Canada, where packing simply means getting ready to move.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i agree.

·
Registered
228 Posts

what he said

flock em'

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Glad you made it out of it okay. And I don't see any harm in flipping the bird when someone almost kills you.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'd have to check, but flipping the bird might be required here in Florida, and in the driver study manual. Flip first, then shoot.:wink: If I had my way, I'd probably shoot at least 3 drivers a day, and they all would be over 80yrs. old.

·
Registered
23 Posts
LOL OP good save. There are people who will kill you everywhere. I too would have flipped the bird, but when I calm down I regret doing it.
Agreed. You lower yourself down to the level of whoever you flipped off when you do so. I will debate, but I will not argue with someone on the road. If the situation looks like it's about to escalate, I'll calmly walk away. I have kids. It's just not worth it. God looks after those who are not violent.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have to say I am disappointed in your response. This is NOT what law abiding people with carry permits should be saying. Sounds like you are ready to provoke a fight because you have heat, which is not a purely defensive act. That is not helping any of us with a carry permit.

Back to the original post, I am glad you are OK. Betcha money that the driver hit the brakes because they were surprised, a normal reaction. "Oh ****, I didn't see that bike coming". Hitting the brakes is the wrong thing to do, but what most people do when they pull in front of someone and realize their mistake.

Flipping the bird is a normal reaction for some, although not the right thing to do either.

Dan

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
woman enters the road from the right, directly in front of me, and hit her ****ing brakes.

Only reason I'm alive is because I assumed she was gonna do that, so I pushed right--hard

Had a half-empty lane with enuf room for me.

I was pissed. Had to say so. Feel a little better now.

You know, you develop a sixth sense; I could feel it coming. But still.
Just a note for new and returning riders.

So, you knew what was coming, you had a place to go and you used it......but you're still pissed?

Most riders whom have developed the "sixth sense" see these events as the normal cost of doing business on two wheels. If you become upset over every dumb act that other drivers perform, you're going to be upset A LOT.

This is actually a very good example to new riders, but not for the reason you think. :oops:

·
Registered
561 Posts
With me, if it's a innocent mistake, I leave well enough alone. But the other day, I am in the fast lane on the highway, and a woman pulls out of a gas station, to cross to the other side (and there was a turn lane, so she could have went to that) and at a snail pace. I am coming right at her. I had to almost stop to keep from hitting her. She would not look at me. That got a single finger salute and a "STUPID A##HOLE BIT#H" screamed...made me feel better! :)

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I have to say I am disappointed in your response. This is NOT what law abiding people with carry permits should be saying. Sounds like you are ready to provoke a fight because you have heat, which is not a purely defensive act. That is not helping any of us with a carry permit.
Well, allow me to characterize this another way. I am riding, a person pulls out in front of me. My reaction, right or wrong, is to honk/yell/flip off the other driver. They were in the wrong, they should expect to deal with someone who is upset. Now, if that driver chooses to continue being in the wrong by turning his/her car and following me, I will then pull the bike to the side of the road so that we can have a discussion. I do this so that a 4,000 pound vehicle, operated by someone who has already demonstrated that they don't care about me being on the road, won't be able to hurt me with that vehicle. If the driver chooses to escalate this encounter any further by making me feel that my life is in danger, I will then take further action as I deem necessary.

I believe that, in this scenario, I fall under the rules of using a weapon in the state of Florida. People drive like asses here, and people also make honest mistakes in their driving here. If someone makes an honest mistake, they will generally look the rider in the eye and apologize. I've had that happen many times. If they are driving like an asss, they will just try to hide in their tin castle on wheels and drive off.

I take very very seriously the fact that I carry a deadly weapon. I have never had to pull it out nor do I ever want to.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Good save and anticipation. That's how you do it. The bird thing? i can imagine me doing it, just as a reflex! Heat of the moment deal. I get alot of miming of "I'm so sorry" "Oh ****" "Oh my god" "I didn't see you" when I avoid their stupid move and give them the "look" i used to give my kids.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.