Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
thought i would post this for general reference

I had an issue with my scootworks 1904-30 monstabelt drive belt. caught a pebble in the pulley and messed up the belt.

i found 2 replacements available
1. Cartney bearing sells a Carlisle Belts By Timken 1904-8MPT-30 "panther" belt cartneybearing.com/products/1904-8mpt-30-panther-synchronous-belts
2. Speed Control sells a 1904-8MBH30 speedcontrolinc.com turns out this is the belt scootworks will sell you. As of this writing they have about 14 left then the belt will be discontinued. Speed control does not sell direct so you need to call and get their distributor in your area.

both belts are about $75 each half of what scootworks sells their belts

i have the panther belt on my bike now, seems to work just fine.

happy riding

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi
the company made an aftermarket belt drive kit for the shadow and other bikes also

i had or have about 47K miles on the bike with the kit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on note since i cannot edit my original post

i ordered the speed control part as a black hawk belt by continental. it just happened the belt was the monstabelt.

I had called continental tech support regarding a different belt and they recommended the black hawk belt which is the BH in the part number. Continental gave me the part number and told me that speed control was the only distributor in the states that had this part.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'm a chain drive fan, but thanks for posting this.
I remember reading posts in the past of people installing the scootworks kit and I'm sure this will be valuable information to them.

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
What bike do you have just for reference?

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
It was 750 chain drive conversion kit. Iffy at best on quality but that may attribute to the talent of folk installing them too. Not a popular conversion due to what the OP said happened to his belt which is a belt drive norm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swifty2014
I have an 03' Shadow Ace delux.
never had an issue with the belt drive kit. followed the instructions

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
For an around towner it might be ok, but I'd be concerned about reliability. 4-500 miles from home, a busted or damaged belt would be a major inconvenience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
smilie
hi,
I had almost 35K on my first belt, not sure what happened for it to be replaced. ( i had to sell the bike to a friend for a while)
The second had a pebble caught up in the pulley from when the city re surfaced the road near the house. (oil the asphalt then drop pebbles everywhere)

Its my fault for not catching it since the road was re surfaced 2 -3 years ago. If i had been paying attention i could have prevented the damage.

Agreed swapping out the belt is more work than throwing on a new chain but there is no maintenance no risk of damage from a chain breaking and getting thrown around via a sprocket.

Also, the replacement belt is about $75 so its less than a very good chain.

besides who carries around a spare chain? Either way you are looking at calling for roadside assistance....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I think with the prices @Merrill has discovered it might not be a bad idea to stuff a spare into the saddle bag for distance use.
It is not as if you can turn one up at the local H-D dealer, but the longevity seems good if everything is well aligned, under correct tension and it doesn't eat road debris.
If you go through your spare though you may end up camped at an industrial supply house or a post office waiting for a package.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CSRoad
yup, with the 2 alternates being so inexpensive i purchased an extra.
in theory these belts could go 100K or more...

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
smilie
hi,
I had almost 35K on my first belt, not sure what happened for it to be replaced. ( i had to sell the bike to a friend for a while)
The second had a pebble caught up in the pulley from when the city re surfaced the road near the house. (oil the asphalt then drop pebbles everywhere)

Its my fault for not catching it since the road was re surfaced 2 -3 years ago. If i had been paying attention i could have prevented the damage.

Agreed swapping out the belt is more work than throwing on a new chain but there is no maintenance no risk of damage from a chain breaking and getting thrown around via a sprocket.

Also, the replacement belt is about $75 so its less than a very good chain.

besides who carries around a spare chain? Either way you are looking at calling for roadside assistance....
I prefer not to carry a spare chain OR belt, the C2 Spirit is shaft drive. Almost 38,000 miles and no worries. I change the final drive oil at the same interval I change the engine oil, every 5000 miles. I don't have the ratio options like a chain or belt, but I've been happy with it just the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Smilie,
lol, i would agree with you!
I believe the newer year bikes went to shaft drive and hydraulic lifters and i think fuel injection.

much less maintenance than the 03! It didn't take me long to get sick of maintaining a chain.

valves are still a pain but checking them once every 8 - 10K miles the way i ride will take me years to have to do them again.
i used to ride much longer distances and could do the tune up's in my sleep, not so much anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts