Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I read something a while back about an alternative to doing the full hole saw mod, but I cannot find it. Anyway, I think it states that you could drill a few holes in the backplate of the exhaust to get a little more sound, but did not need to re-jet the carbs. I am trying to stay away from re-jetting if possible. I also had someone tell me that you could drill a few holes in the underside or backside of the pipes (where they would not be seen) and achieve this too. Any thoughts or ideas on this? Any input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I got mine it had 4 holes in each baffle (in the back plate the one drilles out with the hole saw mod)
Soon after I got her I took her in to my garage and close those holes again.
She was too loud for me, it made a different and I could see my neighbours where happier:shock:.
I couldn´t feel any change in the performance of the bike.

Have a good one

Gunnar Már
Iceland

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just a humble opinion that the stock jetting is on the hairy edge of lean to start with. Any opening of exhaust or intake is pushing you closer to (or over) that edge.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If you want to avoid jetting, Leave your bike stock.. ANY airflow modification can require jetting. The shadow is lean STOCK. Jetting is easy to do, but can be time consuming and frustrating.

You can improve sound and flow of the exhaust, by drilling. You can drill holes in the back plate of the mufflers, bigger the better >5/16. Small holes can whistle, <5/16". You can also drill the end cap of the baffle. Requires drill extension of about 12-14" if done from the exit end. You MIGHT be able to do these and not hurt the AF Mixture too bad. Popping might be a different matter, freeing the exhaust reduces the back pressure, this can induce some Deceleration popping. Jetting may be the only fix for this.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts

This is what I did on my Brides Ride, it has not affected performance at all, it is not real loud, it's just right IMO. The Pipe in the center is also drilled out, that made the biggest difference. If I had it to do all over, I would drill that out first! I used a large 12" long drill bit, I think it was 5/8-3/4" and drilled it in the center, I did the no-no and wallowed it out too. It made a big difference. Try that first on both pipes, then you can drill the other holes with a 3/8" drill bit, drill a few holes in each and try it out, if you want more drill more. The Bride is very pleased with the sound, I just cannt see any reason now to change the exhaust, it looks rather good and sounds just great:-D
Coop

·
Registered
775 Posts
(This is part of a copy of what I posted in another thread about the holesaw mod)
Keeping the original look, you can just drill the end cap of the 1" pipe with a 15/16" drill (or use a small holesaw if you can't find a drill that large) or maybe use a 1/2" drill and drill a few holes into the resonator end cap.
I went one step further and drilled a 1/2" hole into the rear baffle, sounded very nice...

Also If you want to go a little further the get a more distinct sound, you can also block of or restrict the cross over tube...

Safety Hint: Also make sure it's in 1st gear and chock the wheels to stop it rolling forward as when your drilling it is possible to push the bike of the stand.

It kept the original look of the pipes, but louder sounding more like a V-Twin but not over the top...

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

·
Registered
43 Posts
First thing to do is go to ebay and see if anyone is selling a used set of your exhaust. That way if you screw it up or hate the sound, you can go back to the original setup. Friend did this mod to his 750 and it sounded like a lawn mower.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Maybe you should just sell the Honda and buy a Harley. Sounds like that's what you really want. A machine that makes lots of noise. Believe it or not, there is more to motorcycling than making noise so people look at you.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Maybe you should just sell the Honda and buy a Harley. Sounds like that's what you really want. A machine that makes lots of noise. Believe it or not, there is more to motorcycling than making noise so people look at you.
This is very true BUT However I would like my bike to sound welll... Like a V-twin, Not a singer sewing machine. I don't want loud but I do want a good sound, Would be like starting a Farrari and getting the sound of a 74 pinto, Sure it still works but when you drive a Farrari, You want it to SOUND like a Farrari. I plan on just adding a few holes and blocking the crossover so I get the sound I like and not too loud.

Dauntae

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really. I love my Honda. Just want a little more rumble to it, not ear popping loud.

Thanks for all the responses. I may give it a try and see what happens. If I need to re-jet, then so be it.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
First thing to do is go to ebay and see if anyone is selling a used set of your exhaust. That way if you screw it up or hate the sound, you can go back to the original setup. Friend did this mod to his 750 and it sounded like a lawn mower.
If someone is bothering to drill out their exhaust, it means that they don't like the sound of the stock exhaust to begin with. Why waste money on another set of stock exhaust? If they don't like the holesaw mod, then it's time they go and buy aftermarket exhaust.

+1 to Dauntae :mrgreen:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts