Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how many Amps my alternator puts out?

im looking to add electric jacket,gloves and pants,but dont know if the alt can carry allthat and my Cobra lights too,
Hey..guys thanks for the input.So far the only thing that really gets cold is my hands.The coldest ive been out is 16F . This morning it was 32F and raining. But i dont mind the rain. Again thanks

·
Banned
28 Posts
T-bone28 said:

according to the service manual 346 kw at 5000 rpm.

what are you looking to do or test?

then manual says that batt voltage should not be above 15.5 vdc at 5000 rpm.

bill

·
Registered
209 Posts
billfitt said:
T-bone28 said:

according to the service manual 346 kw at 5000 rpm.

what are you looking to do or test?

then manual says that batt voltage should not be above 15.5 vdc at 5000 rpm.

bill
billfitt,

according to the service manual 346 kw at 5000 rpm

I don't think that can be be correct.

We used to run electric powered sawmills with many huge electric motors (125 HP and up) with 300 KWH generators.

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
T-bone28 said:

im looking to add electric jacket,gloves and pants,but dont know if the alt can carry allthat and my Cobra lights too,
After having a little fun with the Killer-Whats, I’ll take a wild guess at it.

346 watts divided by 14 volts is about 24 amps.

The alternator may be putting out 346 watts at 5,000 rpm, but it is putting out a big zero at 1,000 rpm. At 3,000 rpm, it may be producing only about 170 watts. Lights take about 65 watts; ignition takes something, guessing maybe 35 watts. It doesn’t leave much left over for charging the battery and running accessories. Light bars often take 70 watts.

You can use all that stuff, but you also need something to monitor voltage so you can turn off accessories when voltage drops.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
T-bone28 said:

Well I don't know the amps either but, I have a electric jacket liner and electric gloves, two 55 watt running lights (hooked up to low beam only) and on a 02 Sabre, so far no problems, during the day time which I mostly ride with the hi beam on and my electrics hooked up at about 1/4 on the controller no problems, just this past weekend ran at nite for about two hours running low beam and running lights and electrics (with setting as above) and no problems, I do keep my battery on a battery tender when not riding and everything works just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts