Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the process of replacing my stator and was just curious while i have the cover off...does the rotor ever really need replacing? Permanent magnets can lose magnetism over time, but there's no way to test it, so I'm just curious whether I should change it for the hell of it. I have no idea how old it is, as the person I bought the bike from was not the original owner and knew very little about it.

Also, just to clear something up..I've been reading old posts about the alternator and the proper voltage at various rpms...and there is some mis-information going around i think. In one post someone actually said that it was normal for voltage to DROP when rpms increase. Others claimed that when revved up, the normal output of the alternator is 13.5. According to Clymer's, for 87-96 VT1100's, at 5000 rpm, the voltage across the battery terminals should read 14-15 volts. Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Actually the Shop manual for the 98's and above state something to the affect:

Charging voltage: > Battery Voltage < 15v (might be 15.5V I don't have it in front of me now)

My bike would actually increase as the RPMS dropped. Which was wrong but it still worked enough to ride for a week at a time (neededing to be trickled charged overnight on about day 5). Then it got worse and at the end of a single day it would barely start.... :cry:

Replacing the rr and stator is giving much better results - charges and sticks right on 14V at mid-rev runs in the 13's at idle. Battery voltage AGM is about 13.1 - plugging into the battery tender now always shows a full battery charge.

·
Registered
42 Posts
An interesting question and I have not seen any other posts about replacing the rotor. I would guess that it probably would not be necessary but maybe the magnets do lose power over time.
I replaced my stator last spring and got a 13.5V at idle and it did drop some when I revved it higher. I have also seen posts that sound like this is common and others that say it shouldn't happen. My battery lasted fine last year and I use running lights so I think the new stator is working fine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cmashadow96 said:
An interesting question and I have not seen any other posts about replacing the rotor. I would guess that it probably would not be necessary but maybe the magnets do lose power over time.
I replaced my stator last spring and got a 13.5V at idle and it did drop some when I revved it higher. I have also seen posts that sound like this is common and others that say it shouldn't happen. My battery lasted fine last year and I use running lights so I think the new stator is working fine.
Hmm that's really interesting and I just put in the new stator and got the same result...I wonder if Clymer's is wrong because it's performing opposite of how the manual says it should.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Stators and rotors

My question is "How many of you have cut out the plastic connectors and hard-wired your connections?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Re: Stators and rotors

O'Larry said:
My question is "How many of you have cut out the plastic connectors and hard-wired your connections?
I did shortly after discovering the heat welded connector (20k miles) ran it for another 10-15k miles before replacing the charging system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.