Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't planning to try to sell my 98 1100 Shadow Spirit, but an opportunity arose today that is making me consider it. A buddy offered to sell his 99 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic to me for $1,000. It may need some work, but it seems like a good deal to me. Do any of you have experience with these bikes? Is there anything I need to also consider?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I already have two bikes, the Shadow and a virago 920 project. My wife doesn't want three bikes in the garage, so I would need to sell one. The total price of the Vulcan is $1,000. I'm hoping to get around $2,500 for the shadow. The additional money from the sale of the shadow could be used toward other bills or to go toward repairs/mods to the Vulcan and virago.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,374 Posts
If you wanting to ride long trips and two up alot the Vulcan will probably be more comfortable but you won't gain anything in performance but you will get a 100 lbs. more in weight. Power to weight ratio 96' Vulcan 1500 Classic 1:15.5, 06' Spirit 1:12.5. I guess I'm saying, not a good deal as others have also spoken of known issues with the Kawasaki.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just before I bought my Wing I was looking at a Kawi Drifter and my mechanic Tony told me to stay away from the Kawi Vulcan 1500s because of the primary gear in the trannys, I think thats what he said. Well, he said 1 in every 3 Kawi 1500s he has had to fix had this problem. I would have a mechanic go thru the bike from top to bottom first.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I didn't realize that the 1500s had these issues. I was under the impression that they were rated up there with the hondas. It sounds like I need to do more research on the 1500s and put a bit more thought into this. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.