Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I had $25 gift card to sears so I went in and ended up buying a ratchet wrench and an assortment of socket adapters. Spending over $46 all together.

After checking various tool boxes I found enough adapters so today I returned the adapters unopened with the original receipt.

I was expecting to get the refund put back on my debit card but no, thats not how sears handles refunds. I got another gift card with the $21 loaded on it, just what I don't need. The clerk knew I wasn't happy but didn't seem to care. I feel like I got scammed, I paid cash and ended up with another forced reason to return to sears. The card even says return/refund credit on it so I can't regift it. LOL

I won't even get into the argument about craftsman tools and the poor quality. As an industrial maintenance mechanic working all the different shifts I can't depend on them in the middle of the night, etc.

·
Registered
23,170 Posts
A week ago I had $25 gift card to sears so I went in and ended up buying a ratchet wrench and an assortment of socket adapters. Spending over $46 all together.

After checking various tool boxes I found enough adapters so today I returned the adapters unopened with the original receipt.

I was expecting to get the refund put back on my debit card but no, thats not how sears handles refunds. I got another gift card with the $21 loaded on it, just what I don't need. The clerk knew I wasn't happy but didn't seem to care. I feel like I got scammed, I paid cash and ended up with another forced reason to return to sears. The card even says return/refund credit on it so I can't regift it. LOL

I won't even get into the argument about craftsman tools and the poor quality. As an industrial maintenance mechanic working all the different shifts I can't depend on them in the middle of the night, etc.
I gotta ask, why would you buy tools you have no confidence in, even with a gift card?

To the card itself. did it have an explanation of it's terms on it? ( oh wait you said the new one does.. I have to assume so did the old one )
Did you read it?
Was there a written policy about returns readily available?
If there were terms and conditions in view or easily acceptable, no I don't think you have the right to feel scammed, because you were not.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The only way I would have been upset was if the new card was one of those that loses value over time. I doubt that Sears gift/return cards are that way, but I don't know for sure. I recently did a return at Sears on a drive belt for my lawn tractor and recieved credit to my debit card, ours is independantly owned, so there may be a difference there or a difference in state laws, hard to say.

·
Registered
139 Posts
know how you can get them back? buy $21 worth of craftsman handtools destroy them take them back for the replacment warrenty and repeat!!! they have to take them back even if you cut them up with a saw or melt them stick it to the man pedal!!

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I can understand them putting the original $25 on a new card. If you spent $46 and got $21 in refunds, that seems to me to be your money, not their money, that they put on the card. I would have issues too.

·
Registered
23,170 Posts
know how you can get them back? buy $21 worth of craftsman handtools destroy them take them back for the replacment warrenty and repeat!!! they have to take them back even if you cut them up with a saw or melt them stick it to the man pedal!!

Assuming they made all the information readily available in regard to return policies, exactly why would he try to stick it to them for his error in not reading the policies?

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Assuming they made all the information readily available in regard to return policies, exactly why would he try to stick it to them for his error in not reading the policies?
Good point but a big assumption. Just out of curiosity I'm going to check the return policy on the Sears stores in my area, the next time I'm in one, probably this weekend.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, consensus seems to be my expectations were wrong.

Its not a big deal, sooner or later I'll forget about my dislike of sears and kmart and venture back in.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Ah, the mature way to handle it; scam a business for having a policy; show your disdain for a crooked policy by becoming a crook yourself. All this and such a command of grammar and capitalization.

I must be getting cranky in my old age.

--Justin

·
Banned
956 Posts

Good try, but you would stick it to yourself on that one. Warranty applies to manufacturing defects only, not to abuse or damage when used in a manner not intended. You cut a tool inhalf, you now own two tools. Hopefully they will do what you want them to do.

As for the refund, it is all in how they see the purchase. At my store, money is refunded in the way it was purchased. You purchase with debit, it goes back on debit, credit card, back on card. With a multiple tender purchase it becomes difficult. Were the tools purchased purchased with your money, or the gift card? Impossible to tell since it was all conglomerated together. But the refund, up to the gift card amount will be returned as a gift card. Why? On the card, it mopst likely states that it has no cash value. Buying something, then refunding it as cash was as good as cashing in the gift card for $25. It is the same with credit card purchases where people try to get cash back saying they paid off the card. Impossible for us to know and credit card companies often charge two rates, one for purchases and one for cash advances. They also typically give no 30 day leeway on cash advances, the interest starts instantly. So, a purchase on a credit card, returned for cash is tantamount to a work around on the charges for a cash advance.

Just a little insight....

·
Registered
23,170 Posts
Ah, the mature way to handle it; scam a business for having a policy; show your disdain for a crooked policy by becoming a crook yourself. All this and such a command of grammar and capitalization.

I must be getting cranky in my old age.

--Justin
careful now, you are sounding like me.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I've never had a problem with Sears or their brand of tools. (Craftsman) In fact I've had some rather good experiences with them.

On the other hadn I've never tried to do a refund through them.

Best replacement story I've heard about them is from my father. (I was there so I can verify it.)

He had an older craftsman electric chainsaw he had inherited from his father. He liked it because of it's light weight. The thing had to be at least 30 years old but it worked perfectly.

One day he was working in a tree and dropped the saw. The safety strap he had attached to the saw failed and the saw fell. Along the way it bounced off the ladder and then impacted on a rock. The saw was in several pieces.

My father was going to throw the saw out but his sense of humor won out. He decided to give the local Sears Store a bit of trouble so he tossed all of the parts in a box and took it down to the store.

The salesman looked over the remains and told my father they didn't carry that saw anymore. He told my father to wait though and he would see what he could do. Fifteen minutes later my father walked out of the store with a brand new electric chainsaw. They had replaced the old saw with a new one without asking questions.

Cat

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
why would anyone deliberately destroy property. like the old saying, "when you go for revenge, dig two graves". The card most likely had info on it meant to be read. Next time tell the giver that you prefer cash if thats what you want instead of wanting cash for your gift card.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I guess I've always had good experiences with Sears. They've always replaced my broken/worn out hand tools, no questions asked. The carpet they installed in my friends house was replaced after a year because of a stain they couldn't get out (no charge)
The only problem I've had is my 3/8" rachet never seems to last very long, but they've replaced it every time I take them back.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
In case you guy's mist it!
Very well written. thanks man

As for the refund, it is all in how they see the purchase. At my store, money is refunded in the way it was purchased. You purchase with debit, it goes back on debit, credit card, back on card. With a multiple tender purchase it becomes difficult. Were the tools purchased purchased with your money, or the gift card? Impossible to tell since it was all conglomerated together. But the refund, up to the gift card amount will be returned as a gift card. Why? On the card, it mopst likely states that it has no cash value. Buying something, then refunding it as cash was as good as cashing in the gift card for $25. It is the same with credit card purchases where people try to get cash back saying they paid off the card. Impossible for us to know and credit card companies often charge two rates, one for purchases and one for cash advances. They also typically give no 30 day leeway on cash advances, the interest starts instantly. So, a purchase on a credit card, returned for cash is tantamount to a work around on the charges for a cash advance.

Just a little insight....

·
Registered
932 Posts
Did you just take that decision and walk out sulking? Go get all of the tools out that you purchased and take them all back and get all of your refund. When you are done you should have the $25 gift card and the rest bank in your bank. Use the gift card to buy only what you found works up to the amount of the gift card. Leave store. Come back later and get the remainder on your other account.

Next time try being a pain the a$$. Stores rarely like a vocal dissatisfied customer - especially if it is on a crowded sale day and the there are lots of ears.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Next time try being a pain the a$$. Stores rarely like a vocal dissatisfied customer - especially if it is on a crowded sale day and the there are lots of ears.
I tried that with a "lifetime" shock warranty, and they (Sears) didn't budge and the shocks were worn out. Their tools are not what they used to be anyway and over priced for Chinese made tools. Kolbalt and Stanley have become brands of choice for me though I like my Snap On Ergo screw drivers I purchased 10 yrs. ago. Da*n good product.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts