1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Damn, I got nothing, no pity, no joy.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
When I drive our bus down the road I am able to see directly down into the cars beside me. You wouldn't believe what I have seen. People using lap tops, reading map's, magazines, books, etc. I have seen some eating and once seen a guy watching a miniature TV.

I also watched one guy steer his car with his knees while one hand held his cell phone and the other was jotting down notes in his planner with his other hand.

And of course you always get to see a few ladies with short skirts as well. :)

Chris

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a laptop mounted in my jeep in the center console. I use it for GPS navigation only, and primarily either getting to a customers house, or while I am out 4-wheeling in the open trails. It is definitely quite handy, and I don't do anything on it that you wouldn't do with a TomTom stuck to your windshield, but I wonder if I was in an accident what it would look like to others....

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I use a small laptop GPS in my job travels as well, but thats all I use it for. No different than any GPS unit except it has better maps and bigger screen.

But it prolly looks like to others is just a laptop playing a very boring movie.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
black-n-blue said:
I have a laptop mounted in my jeep in the center console. I use it for GPS navigation only, and primarily either getting to a customers house, or while I am out 4-wheeling in the open trails. It is definitely quite handy, and I don't do anything on it that you wouldn't do with a TomTom stuck to your windshield, but I wonder if I was in an accident what it would look like to others....
Do you make entries while moving? I'm guessing not..... :)
Doesn't matter what anyone has...it's how / when they use them.

At least this idiot only killed himself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
vito said:
black-n-blue said:
Do you make entries while moving? I'm guessing not..... :)
Doesn't matter what anyone has...it's how / when they use them.

At least this idiot only killed himself.
No, I don't make entries while moving. I might change a setting like voice prompts, or zoom in or out, but those are setup on hotkeys. If I need to put in a new route, or search an address, it is always while I am not moving. My concern was if I was in an accident with the laptop open and running, others, including the other driver and police might assume I was messing with it and that is what caused the accident. It would be easy for others to assume if they saw it there.. Kinda like if you pick up beer cans along side the road and have them in the bed of your truck, get in an accident and they will assume you were drinking and driving...

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Yeah, no way you can make entries and such while driving. I always stop for that, plan route ahead of time, etc. When I get close is when I zoom in to find the customer, you'd be suprised where they hide a retail store sometimes.

Some of my co-wokers, (esp the UK guys), use TomTom, but I make less mistakes and have to fiddle with my laptop much less than they do on the TomTom.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I live out here, been hearing the story ALL FREAKING DAY...
sorry for the family that was hit :( , as for the the techie...dumbass, glad HE wasn't the one in the hummer....

they didn't mention what program he was running...i'd LMAO if it was one of the R-rated gansta first person shooters....THAT would be irony :twisted:

·
Registered
36 Posts
My stupid mistake.

Ok, this reminds me of something dumb I did. When I was about 19 me and friend was driving home on leave in my truck. I was at the wheel and not wanting to loose valuable time (dumb I know). I decided to make a ham sandwich with the cruise on set at 71mph, I had one slice of bread on each leg and was squirting on the mustard when I ran off into the grass median. Ham, bread, cheese, and mustard when everywhere. I did manage to get back on the road with the cruise still on belive it or not. I did manage to pick up flat tire out of the deal, fair punishment I guess. After that, I pull over to make ham sandwiches.

Was there a point to all this, not really, just that I could have died like that fella, doing something stupid. But I survived and now am a safety crazed 31 year old father of 3. Too bad he didn't have a close call to learn from like me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In several states, having a laptop mounted in your vehicle will make any accident you are involved in your fault, the assumption being you were not paying attention, therefor you failed to properly maintain control of your vehicle. Found this out when investigating mounting our laptops in our company vehicles.

Mark

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: My stupid mistake.

pokey said:
Too bad he didn't have a close call to learn from like me.

He probably had a dozen close calls leading up to this and never learned. I learned this in training, "When your out there driving your bus in traffic and you start having a series of close calls it's time to step back and look at how you are driving and make changes." Works well for the bike also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
MarktheMoose said:
In several states, having a laptop mounted in your vehicle will make any accident you are involved in your fault, the assumption being you were not paying attention, therefor you failed to properly maintain control of your vehicle. Found this out when investigating mounting our laptops in our company vehicles.

Mark
That is exactly what I have been wondering.... But how can they justify having a GPS stuck to your windshield as being ok, if not on a laptop... I do understand there are alot more things you can be doing on a laptop, but,,,,, maybe I need to do some research on this..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Two years ago I was run off the road, in my car, by a guy who was using his laptop in his car. The only reason I know this is because a police officer was pulling out of a post office and saw the incident and chased the guy down. The guy was so absorbed with his computer it took him a mile to pull over.

He was initially charged with crossing the center line (double yellow), leaving the scene of an accident, reckless driving and something else I don't recall and he ended up pleading to crossing a center line, minimal fine and that was that.

Nothing that people do in this age of "ME" surprises me anymore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im just glad that he ended up hitting a hummer. Can you imagine what would have happened to the victims if he hit a geo metro or something. The guy with the laptop would be alive... But probably facing two counts of manslaughter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts