Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"It" being the ownership aspect of a new used bike. First, the "order & bolt on" bits to start the personalizing of'er.
Got some heftier grips to fit my hands better, less obtrusive mirrors with better convex arc, small rack for toting stuff, and a backrest for passengers.
Ordered but "In the mail", a better seat, the buck horn bars I like, and slightly longer front legs.

Then on into the mech aspects.
Angled the pegs in toward my hip joints, fitted the foot linkages to my preferences, cleaned & adjusted the carb properly, and adjusted the hand linkages to taste.
Next up, patching the PO's drilled baffles, moving the pegs forward & down a tad, and re-fitting the foot linkages for that.

Throughout the process? Putt, of course. :cool:

Sorry 'bout the lame pics, my flip phone camera doth suck. :rolleyes:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, Kiddies, here's my latest baffle bash, for anyone who gives a rusty eff. :ROFLMAO:

Looking into the mufflers I noted the baffles'd been removed by hole sawing the back plate they were welded to. I also noted that the lower (forward cyl.) one'd been end punched prior to the sawing, leaving the end piece loose in the chamber. Along with the baffle itself loose in the chamber as well. Likely due to the OP giving up on fishing'em out after a while. Actually fortunate for me, as I now have a factory item to peruse.

A cross sectional sketch of Honda's basic concept .....
Rectangle Wood Font Art Paper

The "neck up" for the over size head pipe to allow the gas & pulse to expand & slow down. I don't show the angle of entry of the head pipe into the chamber, but you can see it on your bike. The small "baffle-ette" that I think is meant to direct the pulse to the side of the chamber. Together, these enter the pulse into the chamber in a swirl pattern. Which directs it along the shell to the conical aft section through a "support baffle" . Which,along with the non ported area of the inner baffle tube bounces it back into itself, again through the support baffle. This creates the most exit pressure (here still referring to the sound pulse, not the gas) right where Honda placed the baffle's porting, thus slowing the pulse down even more. An additional effect would be from the pulse hitting the Conical & non ported areas, producing a sound board effect as well. These're my guesses as to how the sound altering works.

The factory baffle .....
Rectangle Font Cylinder Gas Auto part

Note the end punched off and the weld ring on the other end that was attached to the end plate. Also, note the "neck down" near the porting. This fits into a baffled support ring I'll show later.

The factory baffle's 1.125" ID is (I think) a contribution to the system's top end limitation. I decided to make mine 1.3125", for a 26% cross sectional increase to aid that flow. I'm also mounting mine with rim screws rather than welding'em in. I decided to make the total flow area of the porting an additional 20% larger than my ID, more for the gas than the pulse.
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive exhaust Material property Rim

I decided not to bore out the inner support ring at this time, so made mine enough shorter to clear that. This locates my porting on the other side of it, and not exactly where in the chamber Honda has it. I may change this later, though that'll depend more on performance than sound.
Automotive tire Gas Composite material Automotive exhaust Rim

Auto part Metal Slide sandal Fashion accessory

This one shows the ring left over from the end plate, my three screw holes therein, and the "support baffle" inside.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Wheel Rim

And this one shows the crossover pipe end down the side of the chamber as well.
Automotive tire Rim Gas Machine Audio equipment

Here's a short vid of the new sound. Pardon my cheap phone results, and it's in the garage, so a bit loud under throttle. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Had the day to myself, but had to spend half of it arguing with a Rochester "Pig" off a '61 Apache I'm working on for a friend. Hand cutting unobtanium gaskets is soooo much fun. :rolleyes:

The second half was spent happily fiddling with the (entirely too much chrome) air cleaner cover, and the (far too angular) rack & seat back brackets on my Spirit. Painted a bit of the chrome, and rounded off the back corners of the braces. Both these're under the "cosmetics" category, as I'm awaiting delivery on a few mech things still.

Anyway, here're a couple pics of the mods.

Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle Hood

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Ascertained that my flip phone's camera sucks because living in my pocket has abraded the itty bitty lens on the outside. Oh well, the halo & glow thing's more like I see'er in my mind's eye anyhow. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,401 Posts
I recently used a windshield cleaning/polishing product on my bikes windshield and it removed several scratches. You might could do something similar to your phones camera lens cover.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had a pretty wild allergic reaction to some meds my doc gave me. Managed the Fourth parade OK (another hobby of ours is building Sierra Madre's Rose Parade float, we also run it in the town's Fourth) but it hit me hard the 5th. That, through the 9th was mostly prone, sacked out, woozy, and chucking anything I ever had on my gut. The vertigo was the "best" I've ever had. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, got better enough over the 10th & 11th to work a bit in the garage, just not better enough to putt yet (vertigo & putting don't go very well together :rolleyes:). So decided to take it slow, and move the headlight bucket to its final home on the upper triple. Took my time, and didn't have to "adjust" any wire lengths at all. Honda put exactly the lengths I needed right in the harness ........ to the micron. Rather considerate of'em, don't ya think? ;)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Have been asked how I moved the headlight up, so here's the cobble ......

Removed the two cap screws at the bottom behind the rim.
Rotated the bottom out, and slid the lip catch down & off of the top lip.
Removed the collection of wiring plugs, and set the bulb/rim unit off to the side.
Removed the two lateral screws holding the bucket to the mount ears.
Worked the harness leads & plugs out the back of the bucket.
Set the bucket off to the side.
Removed the pair of turn signal/headlight brackets on the lower triple.

Here you can see those brackets after I cut the headlight mount ears off and replaced'em. The "dust" marks clearly show the missing h/l mount ears, and the lines show my initial cuts. You should keep as much of the material on the headlight ears as you can.
Bumper Automotive exterior Coffeemaker Gas Rim

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

Next I fitted the ears together after swapping sides so that the "base plates" now face together, as in this sketch. I made up a spacer out of scrap wood that matches the width of the spacers in the bucket, and clamped the ears in position on it.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

I then tack (w)elded the plates together, removed the spacer, finished the (w)eld, and ground it flush. I check fitted it to the (h)eadlight bucket screws, and had to spread it slightly for a slip on fit. Following that I (d)rilled two holes on the centerline of the weld, as close to the edges as practical.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Wood

A non welding alternative would've been to add a cover plate JB'd to the ear bases, and drilling the holes after the JB'd set up. I think I'd also drill some matching small holes for the JB to flow into all three of the plates. Could use the block spacer for the same purpose during curing.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

I then used the new bracket to mark & drill two matching holes in the upper triple. One of'em winds up going through the plastic Honda emblem in addition to through the triple. Leave the emblem in place for its deck height spacing. Be careful drilling these holes, you may want to get the bars & risers out of the way. Here's a pic from underneath.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Here're a pair of pics from the side. Ignore the warped reflections in the bucket.
Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Automotive lighting Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exhaust Motorcycle

I now carefully removed a bit of the plastic on the left side cover over the main wiring harness, and pulled the harness back along the frame through the new slot, to behind the upper triple. Then fed the leads back through the bucket from behind the triple, leaving both turn signal leads & plugs outside the bucket this time. Don't forget to leave room for the headlight assembly to move for adjustments when re-stowing all that wire in the bucket, not much room in there.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Automotive exterior

Re-plug in the turn signals (outside the bucket this time), and tape'em over. Make sure nothing binds (I reused the existing wire guides for the purpose), replace the h/l unit into the bucket, and you're ready to roll. If you didn't change the aiming screws she's already aimed properly, as she was before.

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moved the license plate up under the rack, and turned the plate light lens over to light'er up.

Then a bud gave me a nice frame with some LEDs on it, so I added it and hooked'em up to the brake light circuit.

The left turn signal's off to take measurements for their replacements.

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mustang seat showed up, so I put'er on. Only fits the '01 through '06 Spirit, but I figured my '08 couldn't be all that different, right?
Sure, kid. Heard that ole cloud laughing up there in the sky again. :rolleyes:

Took rather a bit of creative cobbling, but you know full well that five bill seat's going on there, don't you? Yes, you do. ;)

And here's the pudding .....

Comfy sucker. :cool:

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the new turn signals in a few days ago, and finally got time to pop'em on.
All four're single filament, so also got rid of the front amber running lights. :cool:
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

Plant Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Fuel tank

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put the Buckhorns on, everything managed to hook back up with a bit of finagling. Except the front brake hose, that is. Had to run'er straight from the m/c to the brake cyl temporarily. Looks weird, but works, and a longer one'll be here in two days. Sure feels good to finally have the bars I like on'er.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,895 Posts
I just noticed that in all of these pics, your front wheel is always turned to the right. Is that just your preference ? My wheel is usually turned to the left but on occasion, to the right. Just curious.

Reactions: KiwiRider

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mostly habit. My old Beemer (a 43 year ride) had the kicker out the left side, so the throttle access worked better that way.

If I could claim anything even slightly rational on the Spirit it might be that it side loads the front spokes less. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, wound up shortening the Buckhorn tips 1.25" each, and turning'em down about the same. Ya know, I really like it when the adjustments just settle right in to my comfort zone.
Doesn't look much different, but in the words of good ol' Dr. Laura; "Oh, Baby." :cool:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts