Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on my VT1100c3 for a while now and I came across a '99 ACE that I couldn't pass up. I've been wanting to do some parts swapping for a while now, and I think this bike will be an excellent canvas for that.

It's a mechanic special, for sure. It's only got 15,ooo miles on it, and I think the time that it sat was harder on it than the miles of highway. The gas tank is peeling, the seat is smoked (not the original cover anyways) and there are spots of rust and pits in the chrome.

It's a 750cc and it's noticeably smaller than my 1100 AERO. It's also got the stock exhaust, so it's VERY quiet compared to the AERO. But that's okay, because what I'm planning doesn't require loud pipes. Although it does take some getting used to riding with the stock tube. I feel like there should be bubbles coming out of the end of the pipe for the sound it makes. :lol:

I know a lot of folks are looking to make a bobber out of these bikes, but my hope is to somewhat replicate a WWII-era motorcycle. I really like the WLC-style of motorcycle and I hope I can capture the feel of the era with the work I plan on doing. First, there has to be a LOT of late-model-style chrome that has to drip off of the bike. Here's a couple of current-state shots.

Now, here's a pic of what I would like to emulate.

As you can see, I've got my work cut out for me. ;)

My plans are to first ditch the bags, highway pegs and windshield. Then re-skin the seat so at least that is presentable while in process. I gots to have fun with it while working on it too!

To be honest, I think the previous owner was pretty anal about the mechanics of the bike. There were about three quarts of Honda oil in the one bag and a service manual. The thing runs like a top, starts on about 1/2 a revolution of the engine and idles like a kitten. I was told that the bike just had a new rectifier and battery installed and it still has the tool kit and owner's manual in the compartment under the seat. Should be a fun ride!

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Been working on my VT1100c3 for a while now and I came across a '99 ACE that I couldn't pass up. I've been wanting to do some parts swapping for a while now, and I think this bike will be an excellent canvas for that.

It's a mechanic special, for sure. It's only got 15,ooo miles on it, and I think the time that it sat was harder on it than the miles of highway. The gas tank is peeling, the seat is smoked (not the original cover anyways) and there are spots of rust and pits in the chrome.

It's a 750cc and it's noticeably smaller than my 1100 AERO. It's also got the stock exhaust, so it's VERY quiet compared to the AERO. But that's okay, because what I'm planning doesn't require loud pipes. Although it does take some getting used to riding with the stock tube. I feel like there should be bubbles coming out of the end of the pipe for the sound it makes. :lol:

I know a lot of folks are looking to make a bobber out of these bikes, but my hope is to somewhat replicate a WWII-era motorcycle. I really like the WLC-style of motorcycle and I hope I can capture the feel of the era with the work I plan on doing. First, there has to be a LOT of late-model-style chrome that has to drip off of the bike. Here's a couple of current-state shots.

Now, here's a pic of what I would like to emulate.

As you can see, I've got my work cut out for me. ;)

My plans are to first ditch the bags, highway pegs and windshield. Then re-skin the seat so at least that is presentable while in process. I gots to have fun with it while working on it too!

To be honest, I think the previous owner was pretty anal about the mechanics of the bike. There were about three quarts of Honda oil in the one bag and a service manual. The thing runs like a top, starts on about 1/2 a revolution of the engine and idles like a kitten. I was told that the bike just had a new rectifier and battery installed and it still has the tool kit and owner's manual in the compartment under the seat. Should be a fun ride!
C5rider,
Thumbs up on your plan Man! That Bike looks very promising for a thoughtful restore...:cool: Resto-Mod?

·
Banned
5,100 Posts

it amazes me how the chrome can hold up on these bikes. Looking at the gas tank i am trying to imagine where it sat for a long time, the Sun? was it partially covered with the side of the tank exposed? the tank is fried but the chrome looks good.

Makes me wonder how people store stuff. i guess once they have decided they dont want it anymore it becomes a PITA and gets treated that way ...

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Best of luck with that C5, sounds like a Cool Project ! :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That seat makes my butt pucker!
LOL!!!! :lol:

Funny, but true story. I usually wear a hat, and when I'm going to go ride, I sit on it while on the bike. With this one, I went to "place the hat" and took a second to think to myself, "Is there anything in/on this seat that I WOULDN'T want in my hair?!!!"

Kinda like someone saying, "Yeah, that cup is clean" but they've gotta stop and think about it for a second. So far, I've not needed any special shampoos, but I can't say the same about the bike. Time for the fine-toothed comb and simple green treatment, if you know what I mean. :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update!

Excessive chrome and unwanted oxidation fell like raindrops in my backyard last night. The windshield, pegs, bags and extra padding all came off.

I guess you could say I'm a purist at heart!

And of course, I needed to take a family photo!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am curious about your ''noticeably smaller than Aero'' remark - It seems to be the same, especially in a side by side photo. Can you explain it a bit?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's noticeably smaller in power, but also as you're sitting on the motorcycle, it feels lighter, much shorter in the front and seems much more nimble when driving. Conversely, it doesn't do highway cruising as well. I'm not saying it doesn't do it, just that you can definitely tell a difference between the two. Many folks ride the 750 Honda's daily and there's nothing wrong with doing that, just that each one has its own attributes.

Plus, with the stock muffler on the ACE and the open-pipe Longshots on the 1100, you can tell the difference IMMEDIATELY when you fire them up! :D When I heard it for the first time while I was contemplating the purchase, I stated that the exhaust on the ACE would be hard to take. The guy looked puzzled, so I had to explain that he didn't know the guys I ride with! LOL!

I was just speaking with a friend today how if I were riding to Daytona (2.5 hour ride from me) I'd take the AERO, but for riding around town and quick jaunts, the ACE is quick and always ready. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So it's mainly power and weight, not bike's dimensions. I see that the wheelbase difference is only 1 inch, so the difference is mostly in feel and perception. Anyway, good luck with your project!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aging has begun! :mrgreen:

I've been doing some stuff to the ol' girl off and on. Got some vintage clip-on mirrors and swapped out the grips for more vintage styled ones. I like them a LOT better.

Also, I got the front fender installed. I had to remove the brackets and flatten them out to make it all fit. But it doesn't look too bad. The fender would barely fit over the tire so I "widened" it a little bit. Between that and modifying the fender mounts, it all fits pretty well, and it definitely gives the front of the bike the look that I'm going for.

Here's a pic of the bike before and after. Now, on to the rear fender!!!!
BEFORE:

After:

Of course, it still needs paint. But I need to figure out what colors I'm going to make it! Hope ya'all like it!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Just saw this now, looks like a great project!!!!!! Also looks like a twin to my sons 02 ACE, same color but his was stored inside.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Jesus....please tell me they didn't paint the exposed foam to match the rest of the bike?

I like the concept you're going for. A new seat & a little clean-up sure did go a long way!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
please tell me they didn't paint the exposed foam to match the rest of the bike?

Okay, they didn't. But they DID cover it with that color of felt-type material before they re-wrapped it with black vinyl. When I pulled the rest of the staples and vinyl, the foam was SOAKING wet. Like push your finger in and see a puddle form wet! :roll:

I pulled the old covering and left the felt. Now it's all red. But, I've thought of re-covering it again after it dries out in a few years. LOL.

I've got a rear, hinged fender on the way for the back, so I'm not sure if I'll install a nut-sert for the original seat. That springer works okay for now, but I'll likely appreciate a larger seat on a somewhat longer run. I have the other bike for marathons.

Glad you all are liking the changes. I asked my bro-in-law today if he saw where I was trying to go with the bike and he agreed with the changes. The main thing is that everyone else sees what I saw in my mind's eye when I conceived the project, not a cobbled bunch of parts that don't work together. You know what they say, "If you're leading, but no one is following you, then you're REALLY only going out for a walk!. :lol:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Rear fender fell off over my lunch break today, so I had no other option but to trial-fit the new one. I think it brings the bike back to the era that I'm going for, but there will be a little bit of trimming to seat it securely in the past. :lol:

Hope ya like it!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts