Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on my 84 vt500c today because it seems winter decided to revisit northern Illinois I was looking over Facebook market place and an add for a '90 vt1100c popped up for $650 with a full second engine included. Messaged him and picked it up tonight. It needs some TLC.. mainly the tank and a good cleaning but it's shouldn't take too much to get it going. The previous owner dropped it in 2014and put it in the garage and never rode it again. Only has 7k miles on the odometer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

That tank is already to get peened on the other side and have the classic look like Kris Carr.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.

That tank is already to get peened on the other side and have the classic look like Kris Carr.
Absolutely funny you should mention that, the same thought had passed through my mind a couple times already. I am debating on fixing that side or pushing in the other side.. not sure which one is easier...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sweet deal on the find.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes that's an awesome look, was considering doing it to my 700 but it holds so little fuel already I didn't want to reduce it more.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,491 Posts
Depends on if you want an old school classic bobber. It would get attention I think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got that 670 as a basket case.. the previous owner was flying across a lake and had the infamous ski-doo brake fire happen. Engine, clutches and hood were fine but I had to replace the wire harness, gauges, coolant hoses, oil/ coolant tank and a cdi box. Runs great but it can be a bitch to start if it's cold.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,491 Posts
Crazy !

Just what causes them to have a brake fire ???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crazy !

Just what causes them to have a brake fire ???
On this one for sure and many older sleds I'm guessing, there is a vent hole in the master cylinder that gets plugged. As the fluid expands a little as it gets hot it applies the brakes without you knowing it. From there on out the situation gets worse, the rotor gets hotter and hotter until it's glowing red hot and the radiant heat ignites something close to it. You would think with it being cold out it wouldn't get that hot but it does. The CDI box on this sled is mounted behind the rotor on the oil tank and it had the plastic and the solder melted off the circuit board on it. This one got hot enough and had enough pressure in the system to actually leave an impression of the brake pads in the rotor, I couldn't believe it when I saw it! Here are a couple of before and after pictures of the master cylinder after I cleaned it. The small hole at the top is the fluid vent hole..

PS our bikes use the exact same brake system. I change fluid every 3 years as preventative maintenance. With the rotor out in the air they wouldn't be able to get as hot as my sled did but it will eat up a set of pads..

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,491 Posts
That is wild !
And yes the same can happen on our bikes. But being in the open air they get cooling air better than inside an enclosure.

That tiny return port hole on the bikes have caused a lot of guys to have brake seizing and it its so small it can be overlooked.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,806 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought that was normal for the 670? Nice classic sled though.

I see you frequent another forum I spend a lot of time on. DooTalk.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/members/albums/213858-smurfy71/2008-honda-vtx-1300t-16842-picture71386-vtx.jpg
Yeah, the 670s are known for hard starting.. in northern Illinois it's just not worth having a new sled with the limited amount of snow we get. We are planning some northern Wisconsin trips for next winter tho!

Yep! That's me over on DooTalk as well!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As an update, tank is fixed and went for a ride.. everything was going great until I put it into third gear and it promptly slid right back into second... The second engine I got with it was original to the bike with under 7k miles on it and the previous owner had disassembled alot of it. I have no idea how many miles are on the engine in it now. The plan was to take my time and repaint and polish the original engine that has been put on the fast track now. It sucks waiting for paint to dry..but it's getting there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts