Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I can ride my VLX 600 I love it. But the weather doesn't always cooperate here in Western PA, so my other ride is a Subaru Impreza (not the WRX as I have 2 kids and a wife).

Anyway, Subaru has its own "special" coolant. Here are the instructions from the manual. "Vehicles are filled at the factory with SUBARU Super Coolant that does not require the first change for 11 years/137,500 miles."

So.....If I bought some of the SUBARU Super Coolant and used it in my bike, would it be good for 11 years or 137,500 miles!????

Wes

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
It might be, but why would you do that? Do you plan on keeping the bike for that duration? I'd dare say, off the shelf coolant will work just as well and you won't pay Subaru prices for it.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I'm not 100% on this, but I think that some coolants react with others. Your not going to get all of the old coolant out of your bike, therefore you'll be mixing it with your old stuff. If it were me, I'd just stick with what Honda said to use.

·
Registered
503 Posts
thats f22 right?
Mazdas use it too.
different doesnt always mean better.
do your research

you can find it a lot on forums as f22 coolant.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,094 Posts
I have a Honda vehicle in which the factory coolant is good for 15 years. In my research on this I recognized the vehicle cooling system is very sophisticated vs our MCs and built to handle an extended coolant. To extend coolant life they have extended the life of the inhibitors package. I am concerned our MC cooling systems are not designed to handle an extended coolant else Honda recommend.

G.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good points. Thanks everyone. I am not sure what is in the bike now, but it looks blue. It might be the Honda coolant. Will be doing a coolant change this spring. Will probably just go with prestone or supertech 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
I used Honda once, then Prestone the next, but they are made in the same factory most likely???

What does MOM suggest ? 50,000 miles ???

Going on memory here,
Dennis

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,240 Posts
What does MOM suggest ? 50,000 miles ???
Coolant typically comes with change-interval recommendations based on years or miles. Per Honda service manual for my bike: inspect every 8k miles, replace at 24k miles, see note 4 which says "Replace every 2 years, or at indicated odometer interval, whichever comes first. Replacement requires mechanical skill."

That last part seems a little strange since it's printed in the manual that Honda service shops use. Guess that means dealers might higher mechanics with no mechanical skill?

Why 2 years/24k? From http://www.engine-performance-onlin...s-in-antifreeze-types-antifreeze-types-colour: "Unfortunately, the buffers in this antifreeze type are chemically transformed or consumed as they function. So as ethylene glycol antifreeze coolant is heated, cooled, exposed to air, components of the conventional ethylene glycol antifreeze additive package are depleted over time and the pH drops. This corrosion and pH drop is why the ethylene glycol antifreeze type of engine coolant needs to be changed every two years or 24,000 miles."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts