Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
2009 VT750C2 Spirit, 2012 VT750C Aero, 2014 CB1100
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven't ridden one yet.

I imagine that I'll prefer the old fashioned clutch and shift method, but I'm sure I'd enjoy riding a DCT bike too.

I'm also uncomfortable with Honda's decision to completely abandon standard clutch shifting in several of their newer models.

Thankfully there are other manufacturers who still make standard shift bikes. I guess Honda deserves credit for innovation and courage, but I'm not sure I want to fund it...

Are the higher costs of ownership justified?

As personal transportation shifts away from Internal Combustion Engines, it may not be an issue.

Battery and hydrogen fuel cell electric engines have different transmission needs compared to ICE, and by the time I actually need another moto, I might be glad to have a DCT option instead of God-knows-what...

Are they reliable? How much do they cost to service or replace?

Other than appealing to a younger generation who refuses to learn clutch (or handicap folks who can't), are there any compelling reasons why you'd want to spend an extra thousand bucks on the DCT if there was still a less expensive standard option?

Nuffa me... These are the things that keep me up at night! Lol 馃槑馃ぃ馃槾

Registered
Only downside I see is you have to buy the clutch packs as a set. No individual clutch steels or frictions are sold individually. Was thinking of the dual sport until I researched things like replacing the plates.

Honda is a show-off, look what we can do engineering company. Robotics, planes, etc.

Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
I remember back sometime in the late seventies, I think, Honda came out with the Hondamatic transmission. I went with my Father to look at one but he did not buy it. I don鈥檛 think the Hondamatic went over well back then.

I have no idea how long the DCT transmission has been around since I only heard about it a couple of years ago. Apparently Honda has it figured out and I say good for them. I don鈥檛 have any issues with bikes having an auto transmission in fact I think it is great. I do have a problem when they start removing the manual transmissions from the bikes and not even leaving it as an option. I would guess they are doing this to save money by not having two transmissions in inventory.

If in the future I buy a bike and the only option is a DCT then I guess I will have a DCT. There is not really anything we can do about it, just like the EV鈥檚, they are coming and all we can do is keep our old stuff running and pray they don鈥檛 do away with gas stations before I die.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
I recall when slush pumps became cheap enough to become common place, and the ads that were used to sell'em. "Now, anyone can drive." was the salient point. And folks incapable of managing a simple gear box, indeed, were driving. The rest, as they say, is history. The trend doth continue.
:censored:

Wiki has a reasonably accurate overview of the history of the DCT's development.

Registered
I just traded in my Africa twin DCT for a 2023 bmw K1600GT. I loved the DCT....But 99.9% of the time I rode it in Manual mode, so one changed the gears with your thumb/finger....I found that quite enjoyable. Vast majority (based on the various Africa twin online groups Iused to belong to) enjoy the DCT once they try it. Yes there are time when a clutch would be nice, but u adapt and learn to use the front/rear brakes to assist you. Lot of people make comments about a DCT, yet they have never rode a bike with it.

Now that I am back to a bike with a clutch, do I miss the DCT..only in very slow stop and go traffic. Lot of bikes these days are equipped with "Shift assist" (they go by many names) and once your in first gear, no longer have to use the clutch.

I bought my AT without a test ride.....no dealers in my area allowed that (only on demo) When I first pulled out of the dealer in S1 mode, it was chnaging gears at a super low RPM.....I was like, what did I just buy!!! Much better in Sport 2 and even better at S3, but perfect in manual.

is a DCT reliable? I had nearly 20,000 miles on it and not a single issue.....Read a lot of other issues on the AT, but DCT wasn't one that popped up. A former co-worker had the exact same bike, but he used it more as a dirt bike, thus rode it harder than mine, not a single DCT issue. He too grew up on dirt bikes and again in certain situations a clutch is nice, but you learn to adapt with the brakes (his words)

Is it worth the Extra eight and $$$, guess that is a personal decision. I sat on a manual AT and I did not like the placement of the foot lever. I know on the BMW forum someone asked about the 1600 being available with a DCT and a fair # said please..as they had a DCT in the past. 1 of those things you need to try and keep an open mind about. I do believe lo tof the $$$$ sports cars, they switch gears with their fingers/thumbs too.

38F here today, off for a short ride.

Registered
1995 VT1100C2
I had the choice of DCT or manual in Goldwing but chose manual as for me I was just more used to clutch and rarely thought I wish I did not have one. However a friend bought DCT due to a problem with left hand. He got familiar with DCT in about a week and it is a bit faster than manual. You can manually shift with buttons but if you make a bad shift the DCT corrects. Most high end sports cars have a form of DCT (newer Porsche and the C8 Corvette) because shifting is faster. have not heard of reliability problems with DCT and expect there to be less problems due to the accuracy of shifting (although I have not had any clutch problems with GL or VT in 40 years). The one inconvenience/expense is additional filter (and fluid in theC8) so a bit additional maintenance.

Registered
'83 VT750C; 鈥21 SV650A
Every take I鈥檝e ever seen on DCT is usually, 鈥淲as wary at first, but where has this thing been all my life?!?鈥 For example, the way I ride, I don鈥檛 need a manual shift. I was looking hard at the NC750S/X and wouldn鈥檛 have said no to the option.

Registered
I believe some people buy a bike for their ego, and there are folks that tease those with DCTs, calling them scooters, etc etc. You still need to know how to ride a bike even if its DCT, and in some cases a little bit more skill with front/back brakes. Each their own.

Reactions: JayFreddy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe some people buy a bike for their ego, and there are folks that tease those with DCTs, calling them scooters, etc etc. You still need to know how to ride a bike even if its DCT, and in some cases a little bit more skill with front/back brakes. Each their own.
One of the older mechanics at my Honda dealership told me he has an open disdain for the NT750, calling it a "Yuppie Bike".

Registered
One of the older mechanics at my Honda dealership told me he has an open disdain for the NT750, calling it a "Yuppie Bike".
I bet its a fun bike to ride around town. Lightweight and very maneuverable.....

Registered
'83 VT750C; 鈥21 SV650A
My big thing with it was that I was getting a bike for the 鈥榝un鈥 factor, over all-out efficiency. The low-revving 鈥榗ar motor鈥 in the NC just seemed to hinder that a bit. Plus, my SV revs to 10k鈥 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was surprised the other day talking to a twenty-sumthin' at my local gym. He was telling me about the Rebel 1100. In addition to the low seat height, he also mentioned the DCT transmission several times.

"It shifts faster so you can go faster! It's a fast bike!"

I've looked at the Rebel 1100, and wouldn't hesitate to ride one if the circumstances came together, but given my geezerly ways, I would need a discount or similar incentive to switch to a DCT!

Registered
I was surprised the other day talking to a twenty-sumthin' at my local gym. He was telling me about the Rebel 1100. In addition to the low seat height, he also mentioned the DCT transmission several times.

"It shifts faster so you can go faster! It's a fast bike!"

I've looked at the Rebel 1100, and wouldn't hesitate to ride one if the circumstances came together, but given my geezerly ways, I would need a discount or similar incentive to switch to a DCT!
I know with Africa twin the DCT was about $1000 more. Unfortunately most of the dealers in my area (and prob many others) do not allow test rides......you have to attend their test riding events (sort of how I ended up on my new bike...they allowed test rides) As stated above, majority that try the DCT enjoy it, it is smooth and quick and in manual mode you have all the control and its enjoyable to chg gears with ur left finger and thumb. One does need a bit of extended test ride to appreciate it.

What some do with the manual trans is add a quick shifter (many bikes come with it) so don't need to use the clutch...best of both worlds.....less $$$ and less weight of a DCT

Registered
Maybe I should not admit this,lol I went for about a 2 hour ride on Saturday and I paid more attention to shifting, and I guess it def adds to the experience...maybe more than I thought. Keeping in mind, that on my bike it has the gear assist pro, so can shift without using the clutch. Guess one does feel a bit more attached to the bike that way, as it does feel a bit more natural, then again it wa s nice to chg gears with finger/thumb.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should add that I drive a Nissan Note and I chose it because it was one of the only cars that you can still get with a stick shift for under $40k!

Registered
I should add that I drive a Nissan Note and I chose it because it was one of the only cars that you can still get with a stick shift for under $40k!
We enjoy the show Amazing Race.....often they are required to drive a shift stick...amazing on how many people do not know how to operate it! Been awhile since I had a stick, probably the last one was my 2000 Acura RSX. Oh no, when we lived abroad, I had a stick shift Mitsubishi truck. I'm guessing not a lot of option here in the USA. With all the traffic in the DC area, I'll stick with an automatic,lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not the first video on the subject of low speed clutch wear on DCT.
Thanks for sharing. It totally sucks that Honda won't warranty the DCT transmission on a new bike with 1000 miles on it because he rode it "too slow"...

Screw that.

If someone gave me one for free I'd happily ride it, but if I'm paying with my own money, I'm going with the same kind of transmission I've been happy riding for the last 45 years!

When motorcycles go electric we won't need DCT either.

I see a lot of electric bicycles in Dallas these days, clipping along in traffic at 30 mph. I've seen a few doing closer to 45 mph, but I'm not sure how long they can do that...

The motorcycle licensing system in Texas broke hard during Covid, and it hasn't been fixed yet.

These electric bikes that can keep up with most city traffic are motor vehicles and should probably be licensed, but the government will just screw it up...

For now the cops seem to look the other way.

Registered
Interesting how that slow speed training caused clutch failure.....99.9999% of riders don't do that with their bikes though.....Shame on Honda for not covering it.

Registered
1995 VT1100C2
Hundreds of thousands of Porsche owners have DCT (called PDK) and never had a problem. However, one owner actually went through 4 transmissions in the first year and the internet forums went nuts. The posted DCT video and forum comments indicate this is a one off and possibly coincidental. My guess is Honda will honor the warranty but the owner has not contacted them yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts