Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i recently moved and fell in with a group of friends who all happen to be harley riders. I stick firm to my old Honda. Last night we went on a decent ride, almost 80 miles. We stopped at a few spots that they norm. they had a beer or two at the first and then at the second they had a few more and something to eat. I was broke so I didn't eat, I just wanted to ride. So we left the second place and headed home. As for my personal opinion if I smell alcohol I will not get on my bike. So I didn't drink. The question is what danger is this group to me and my passenger while riding in the middle of the staggered formation? I have quick reaction time and I amsl negotiate most obsicles on my bike well even with my wife on the back. I just want to make sure that I am not going to put myself and my wife in danger while riding as my daughter would be lost without us.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If that is the way you feel about it... you might be hanging with the wrong crowd.
If they have had 4 or 5 drinks, then they are certainly impaired and may present a threat to you while riding with them. You may want to still hang with this bunch... but just know what risk you are taking. Personally... i have ridden after having one and sometimes...2 drinks. My absolute limit. So, I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say it's Nimba... but the risk is there.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Whether there is drinking or not involved my preferred placement in a group ride is leader or tail. If you are not leading you might want to hang back and take the last spot. If something stupid happens in front of you, you have two lanes to work with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about this alot the past few hours and I think that if I do ride with them , and I probably will as there is noone I know here that rides except them. I will hang to the back or maybe even lead. Half of them do not have sppeometers anyway so they have been using me as the pace setter. Give me a route and I go. but its lonly in the front to me and I like the middle or rear. What do ya think?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Whether there is drinking or not involved my preferred placement in a group ride is leader or tail. If you are not leading you might want to hang back and take the last spot. If something stupid happens in front of you, you have two lanes to work with.
=100^^^The middle suxxx....
at least in this instance. Especially if you aren't comfortable, ride drag in back. Before all the holier than thou types show up to preach against drinking and driving... Sounds like they're used to doing this and I doubt the few beers they have would really make all that much of a difference, but in reality, alcohol will slow their reflexes a bit and especially since you have your wife on the back, I wouldn’t be in the middle. I don't care for distance group rides anyway, but when I have to, there's always a small sub-group of us that jockey for the rear spots.
Heck, if I could get my wife to ride with me we'd be off by ourselves enjoying each others company without having to worry about other riders. You could just meet the other riders somewhere, then go on elsewhere after you leave your socializing spot. my .02 anyway!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If you want to ride with this group but are concerned with being safe while doing so, be the tail gunner and hang back a little further than you normally would in a staggered formation (a couple of seconds or more). That way you have plenty of reaction time should something happen.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
OP quote[ I just want to make sure that I am not going to put myself and my wife in danger while riding]

you are

mark

my .02/opinion
That's two of us.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I just want to make sure that I am not going to put myself and my wife in danger while riding as my daughter would be lost without us.
Don't be fooled. The simple act of riding puts you and your wife in danger. If you are concerned about your daughter being lost without you, perhaps you might rethink riding, period.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I’m not a drinker and therefore don’t really hang out with people that drink often (Nothing against people that like to drink sensibly. I just spend my time doing the things I like to do which typically doesn’t involve alcohol).
Though I think anything in life has risks, IMHO it’s important to try and minimize them if you are able. In this case, you are in control of your choices and are able to control some of the perceived risk. Probably a great bunch of guys but I wouldn’t ride with(or around) them or anyone else that’s drinking if I can help it. Especially if I thought my families safety was at risk.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Don't be fooled. The simple act of riding puts you and your wife in danger. If you are concerned about your daughter being lost without you, perhaps you might rethink riding, period.

^this

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
+1 gat803!

Impairment is a very individual thing, but EVERYONE's reflexes and performance (impairment) are affected after even one, to some degree. Especially on a bike, the only safe way to go is zero substances. Find new riding buddies, or ride alone.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The fact that you raise the question should guide you as to what you should do. I don't ride with people who I feel increase my risk of an accident. This includes much more than just alchohol, by the way.------Metalguy

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really appreciate all the input. I know that riding has its risks as this is not my first rodeo. I do however want to limit the risks that i put myself and my wife into. I think that if I ride with this group again then I will fall tail and give myself some room. My honda stops alot faster then them **** harleys I ride with. ( I love dual discs.) Anyway thanks again and I look forward to more input on future questions.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I wouldn't be anywhere near them.

This isn't even subject to debate, nor are different levels of "Impairment".

In fact, I'd take their keys. I don't care how tough they think they are.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just my opinion, I wouldn't ride with them either and if I did, it would be as tail gunner. We rode with a group like that last year and what a shocker on the ride one of them went down, and they have had several in their group go down.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Ok i recently moved and fell in with a group of friends who all happen to be harley riders. I stick firm to my old Honda. Last night we went on a decent ride, almost 80 miles. We stopped at a few spots that they norm. they had a beer or two at the first and then at the second they had a few more and something to eat. I was broke so I didn't eat, I just wanted to ride. So we left the second place and headed home. As for my personal opinion if I smell alcohol I will not get on my bike. So I didn't drink. The question is what danger is this group to me and my passenger while riding in the middle of the staggered formation? I have quick reaction time and I amsl negotiate most obsicles on my bike well even with my wife on the back. I just want to make sure that I am not going to put myself and my wife in danger while riding as my daughter would be lost without us.
You're in the middle of a group that has had 2 to 4 beers and you're wondering if you are in a bad spot? Do I have that right?

Really?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.