Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a short ride today and when I got back found a fork seal leaking. I figured it was coming by the way the dust seal were starting to show age.
My question is to those of you that have replaced the seals before,did you find anything else [ bushings,o-rings,piston rings ] that needed replaced?

I have an 02 1100 Spirit with 19000 miles.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
On my '98 the upper bushing were worn the lower looked like new.. around 22k miles...but since you are going to have it apart anyway, might as well replace them both (they are not dealer stocked items so most times the dealer will have to order them).Since you are saving so much on the labor cost, order a set of bushing and the seal sets from servicehonda.com that will take a bite out of the total price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cbjr,I will order the bushings also then,just trying to get everything I need in one shot,instead of getting everything tore down and waiting on parts.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
R Clark said:
Thanks cbjr,I will order the bushings also then,just trying to get everything I need in one shot,instead of getting everything tore down and waiting on parts.

Thanks for your help!
You will need a seal driver.......might as well order that too.....a bit pricey, but I have used mine for three sets of fork r&r's - so far.

You can make one too, out of PVC pipe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I have just about got everything I need to start this project, one thing I just thought about is I need to know what to torque the bolts on the triple tree and the ones in the bottom of the forks.

I need to get a service manual,just havn't got around to it yet. :roll:

Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
From Honda Service manual - 1997 - 2003 VT1100C

Upper fork pinch bolt - 8 ft/lbs
Lower fork pinch bolt - 36 ft/lbs
Fork socket bolt - 14 ft/lbs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.