Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from work last night, I had another fun encounter with one of Arizona's Haboob's, or dust storm.

Unbeknownst to me, a coworker/friend was following me and snapped some photos. It was funny because I kept thinking that there must be a biker in that truck behind me, he seemed to be guarding me rear so to speak which made the drive a lot easier. When I got home, I had an email with the pics attached.

Yes, I know it's not a Shadow, me little CBR250, but it's also one of the reasons I MUST have top box. Besides the extra storage for my work or riding gear, it has additional lighting to keep me from being rear ended. Of course that simply can't compare to a decent hearted friend/coworker who followed me in his truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Glad you came through that ok! How long did it take to get the sand/dirt out of yourself and the bike?;)
As soon as I got home I hosed the bike off, still need to attend to the chain though!

What surprised me, is once inside I found I even had sand in my hair! I guess I'm vulnerable since I lost the cover on one of my helmet vents awhile back :D

·
Premium Member
7,001 Posts
Think it might be time to change the air filter on the bike? Man the amount of dirt sucked into a motor has to be unbelievable. Not to mention what you're breathing in something like that. You wear a dust mask in something like that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think it might be time to change the air filter on the bike? Man the amount of dirt sucked into a motor has to be unbelievable. Not to mention what you're breathing in something like that. You wear a dust mask in something like that?
Would you believe, as luck would have it, I just changed my air filter last week? Though, I've ridden through these before and the old filter really wasn't too horrible, (it's under the seat on the little CBR).

The most wonderful thing for me though, was finding out that my buddy was looking out for me, riding behind in his truck so I wouldn't get rear ended, I owe him one for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,001 Posts
Would you believe, as luck would have it, I just changed my air filter last week? Though, I've ridden through these before and the old filter really wasn't too horrible, (it's under the seat on the little CBR).

The most wonderful thing for me though, was finding out that my buddy was looking out for me, riding behind in his truck so I wouldn't get rear ended, I owe him one for sure.
Yup, have to buy that guy a beer. Keep those friends close.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Been through those a couple of times in my cage,but never on my scoot. Glad you survived.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow that's nasty. I am trying to figure out why your taillight is out in the last pic ... did you shut down?
Yep, the whole highway came to a halt for 10 minutes or more. I shut down to save on fuel and minimize dust sucking into the motor. What makes me mad living in this area is I know the bad spots, in other words the areas or valleys where the wind and dust is the worst. As always, this is exactly where the people stop.
It would probably be hilarious if you could somehow watch from above. You'd see a bunch of ants scrambling to the absolute worst part of the storm, and then just sitting there, to endure the full onslaught! Another 5 minutes and you'd be in the clear :-o Can't tell you how tempted I was to go to the shoulder, but as so many people were pulling off, then back on, figured I'd just sit.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You didnt ride yesterday in the rain did you? We had up to 6 in of rain. Most in phoenix history. Floods everywhere. I saw one guy riding along in about 6 in of water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts