Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about a while back and just tried it out the other day with great success. If you ride in cool / cold weather and you suffer from cold hands/fingers, try a pair of el-cheapo hand warmers you can pick up at your local dollar store. They come in a plastic pack and activate when they are exposed to air. Just rip open both packs, put some double-sided carpet tape on one side of each one and apply them to your grips on the section where your fingers normally contact them. They heat up to about 140 deg. and last for 5-6 hours. When they're spent, just rip 'em off and toss them in the trash.

In 25 degree weather my fingers stayed toasty on a 3 hour ride. At that price, it's a lot more reasonable than dropping a couple hundred bucks on Gerbings. I could go on a hundred rides for the same price and there's no wiring involved. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Is there any sticky tape residue on the grips after you pull them off? I was wondering if you could use a child's pair of socks or pantyhose to hold in place and still get enough warth to your fingers? Just a thought. :?:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hand wamers

I've bought some of the inexpensive hand warmers in the hunting section of Wal-Mart and just shoved them down in my gloves. It helps but can't quite get the end of my fingers warm. I just ordered some ice fishing mittens that will probably hold the hand warmers better. I plan on wearing some thinner gloves inside the mittens which contain the handwarmers. Next year I'll spend the $150 - $200 and get the battery powered electric snow skiing gloves with the heating elements that run down the back of the fingers all the way to the finger tips.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZMan:
I just used regular carpet tape that I had from Home Depot and there was nothing left on the grips after I peeled them off while they were still a little warm. I don't know if there's any problem if you let them cool all the way down.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks billdksn, I will include some of these hand warmers in my normal riding gear. I had thoughts of frost bite about a week ago when I got caught 70 miles from home in 31 deg. weather. Had plenty of clothing to keep my body warm, just fell short in the hand dept. Thanks again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Xodus:

Guess you could always use the left over carpet tape to attach the windshield. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts