Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Just to introduce myself and let you know that I have just bought a 1995 ACE Shadow 1100. I live in Northern Thailand where I run a Burger Bar (and a Web Design Business).

The bike is great to look at and a great ride.

I do have two questions and wonder if anyone can advise me...the bike didn't come with a manual. Is there a really good one someone can recommend which I can buy on the internet?

...and has anyone every put engine protectors on a Shadow?

Being in Thailand, I really want to protect my investment and enjoy riding the bike. Driving here is nothing like back home.

By the way I am an Aussie from Brisbane, Queensland.

Happy new year and look forward to making friends with all of you

Daniel
(MyNicDan)

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Welcome!!!!

The Honda Service Manual works well for me. I got mine off eBay for a pretty good price....

·
Registered
79 Posts
xrayr said:
Welcome!!!!

The Honda Service Manual works well for me. I got mine off eBay for a pretty good price....
Ditto!

Clymer makes a decent manual as well, also bought from ebay.

Ted

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Welcome

Welcome, sir. I am not sure where exactly you are, but am fairly confident that it is not part of the lower 48, LOL.

I bought a manual from J.C. Whitney, and have both the Clymer and Honda Service Manuals, and am pleased with both.

By engine guards, are you referring to Highway Bars, or the smaller chrome guards that just protect the lower engine? I bought the Cobra Highway bars from WingThings, and am very satisified. They also have room for a second set of footpegs for stretching out, which became critical after I added the Mustang Seat. Mine is a 97 ACE 1100. Jim

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Welcome. If I still lived in Thailand I don't think I'd worry about doing any mechanical work by myself -- I'd just run it over to the Honda dealer and let them do it for the very reasonable rates they usually charge. As far as engine guards, I would also look locally. Make up a drawing of what you want and take it to a welding or metal fabrication shop.

You're in the right place for motorcycling. Whenever I read about somebody riding in the central part or south of Thailand I wonder how they can stand the heat. I know I couldn't.

BTW, I was surprised to see the manufacturing sticker on my new Kawasaki KLR650 said "made in Thailand" (now I've got to think up a Thai name for it -- probably "chaang" because it's so tall). Do they build any other brands of Japanese motorcycle there?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Sa-wat-dee Dan! As MikeB says, you are certainly in a great place for riding motorcycles. Of course, Thailand is the only place I've lived where I had a motorcycle stolen so keep an eye on yours.

I have the MC Enterprises Engine Guard on my Shadow and I really like it. I've tested it out once and it did just what it was supposed to do. I would highly recommend it. I got mine from http://www.jcwhitney.com. Just go to their site, click on the motorcycle tab and search on "engine guard".

Happy Trails!

sanoke

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
G'day everyone and thanks

Hi Xrayr, underdawg, Jim Mann, ashadowrider, MikeB, williewonka, sanoke, Chyron, pauloxxi,hunnus2000

Wow...thanks heaps for all your replies and welcomes. I honestly didn't expect that.

Here is a pic of my Shadow:

For me its just 4 days old. You can see some of the garden this morning..very sub-tropics. I am 1000kms or so North of Bangkok and around 12 hours (and one day) time difference from all of you..its already Sunday afternoon (arvo in Aussie speak).

Thanks for confirming that genuine Honda manuals from Ebay and Clymer are worthwhile. I will have a hunt around on the internet.

I know I can get Crash Bars made locally. They do some amazing things with Stainless Steel here including made to measure exhaust systems etc

But before I go ahead and get something made, I wanted to checkout what other people have done... I really want to keep the look and feel of this Shadow. Its a beaut looking bike.

Sanoke.. I had a look at the jcwhitney.com site and saw the Case Guards, which is pretty much what I am after. It would be nice to find something that will protect all two right hand chrome exhaust systems as well as the enging.

Hiya Hunnus2000....there are a couple of local Goldwings and I saw a several Shadows for sale in Bangkok. I also know a couple of BMW owners and someone who runs around on a new Yammy 1300. Love the colors of your Shadow. Real beaut (assie for nice).

Its interesting to see Thai's getting into big bikes and there are lots on the road now. Big Bike week was great fun last year with visitors from all over the world and many of the Thai bike groups coming to Chiang Mai to show their hardware and drink some Singha, Chang & Leo (beer).

Hi MikeB...the local Honda dealer doesn't like to work on BIG bikes and turned his nose up when I ran round there to ask them to service my Silverwing. So I have had to hunt around and look for people who specialize with Big Bikes and bless them, there are several goodies. I didn't realise Kwakkers were made locally...

The small 100cc and 125cc range of bikes continue to be the family runabout here. I often see Mum, Dad, the kids and the pooch on the family runabout (usually a 100cc Honda Dream). Thailand is Sidecar heaven and every 10th bike has a sidecar on which someone has built a food stall selling noodles. (I hate to say it, but Thailand is also Scooter heaven too and every 3rd machine has a trendy thai mod sitting on his dream machine...yeech!!!!

I will have to take some piccies for all of you. I kid you not....

Take care everyone...again, thanks so much for caring to reply to me. We tend to feel a little remote here, so its really appreciated that you all got back to me.

Danny
MyNicDan

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hey Danny,

I had a look at your bike pic and to me it looks like what was sold in the US as just a Shadow VT1100C (Ace was a seperate model). The Ace had wire wheels and full fenders so when you are ordering parts, you might want to look for Shadow VT1100C parts instead of Ace parts. Here's a link to a site that lists different Honda models that you can use for reference. http://www.100megsfree4.com/honda

Happy Trails!

sanoke

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it an ACE

Hi Sanoke

Thanks for the guidance....I think you are right. It's not an ACE. The wheels and long tail are definitely VT1100C and not ACE.

The reason I thought it was an ACE because the tank badge says it is an ACE and the seat clearly says made in USA...which I understood was also a feature of the ACE.

The http://www.100megsfree4.com/honda is great because it also lists the Serial Numbers and so I have narrowed it down to a VT1100C'93 Shadow 1100 - I can also see the long tail is not ACE. And just to confuse me, the exhausts on my bike are different to both models I can see on this site....so someone has done some modifications....

I can see from the Thai Registration Book it was imported into Thailand in 1995, so I was thinking that was the year of manufacture....

So there we go....probably a 1995 VT1100C in great condition.

Thanks so much for the help...its great to be able to narrow down the models and see where the bike actually came from...

take care and have fun

Danny
MyNicDan

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It may have actually been new in '95. When I lived in Thailand, one of the things I discovered was that manufacturers would often take their over stock and create vehicles out of them and sell them in countries like Thailand. From looking at your bike, everything except the tank matches the VT1100C but the tank is definately the same as a '95 Ace. The VT1100C was also made in the US. Of course, when ordering parts, I would go by what the serial numbers say.

Glad I could help out.

sanoke

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on Thailand !!!

Hi everyone

I just thought you would enjoy reading what happened when I took the Shadow to the local Motor Registry to transfer the Registration to my name.

First, I had to go to the Dept of Immigration to get a letter certifying my address. This was painless except for having to pursuade my Landlord to provide an updated lease agreement proving I still rent the house....

Second, I had to collect proof of my ID (Passport) and Work Permit showing I live and work here, plus the Immigration Letter confirming my local address, the Shadow Registration Book, a form releasing the registration to me, that releasants ID (Passport), proof of address signatures and a Thai friend to interpret.

Third, on arrival at the Motor Registry, line up with all the other bikes waiting for renewals, transfers, registration etc - lotsa 125cc Dreams, Suzuki's and Yamaha family transports - wait my turn to have someone put some paper tape on the frame and engine numbers to compare with the Registration Book (ie. its not a different bike).

This caused considerable confusion as the engine size was listed as 110cc
until someone noticed it had been corrected to 1100cc...

More confusion because the book showed the bike was Black...and then they found the correction to show it is now a deep metalic red..... then with proof the bike was one and the same as listed in hand, wait my turn in another building to see the Transport Police Person who checked all the documents and processed my application to transfer the bike to my name.

Fourth, with all the documents processed and accepted, wait my turn to pay for the transfer and then when it was my turn, the girl behind the counter opened the book and said in Thai - 10 Baht (thats around 30 cents US)

I was confused and asked my friend to double check. Some chattering and the person behind the counter looked at the book and documents again and said....ooooh noooo....big bike 1100 cc...thats 500 Baht (about $15US) not 10 for the engine size....and another wail oooh noooo!....transfer registration fee is 100 Baht ( $3US) and a final oooh noooo! .... must change to a new book...thats 200 Baht ($6US)

It was funny ...30 cents suddenly became $19...

The best bit for last. That all happened 2 weeks ago and I went to the registry this morning to get the NEW registration book...YAY! it was there and ready for me ...BUT the engine size is now listed as 11,000cc and they spelt my name incorrectly.....

Yeesh! I will have to go back with someone again to explain what they did wrong....

Its fun living here.

Hi Lisa...thanks for the welcome. Nice knowing I am not the only colonial on the forum (grin)....

chok dee everyone....thats Thai for good luck

This is my final posting to introduce myself....I will start to participate in other postings and add new ones when I have something interesting to say

Danny
MyNicDan

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
BUT the engine size is now listed as 11,000cc...
A logical mistake. They know how you farangs like to show off. :lol:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Welcome and no you can't have my little orange Honda. LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts