Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just bought a 1999 Honda Shadow 600 and had a few questions. I have been going over this site and all of the information concerning coolant replacement. I have also read and re-read the service manual. My questions are the following:
1. Even though the manual says you should use new sealing washers on the drain bolts, there has not been any mention of them that I have seen. Can you reuse the washers? Or should they be replaced?
2. I am trying to go over everything on this bike as the PO did not have any maintenance records. What is a good flush to use? I have seen just using distilled water, to Prestone flush. What works but is safe for the bike?
3. I have already drained the coolant, and per the manual removed the reservoir tank. I also cleaned the res tank by soaking it in water and detergent and rinsing it out thoroughly and drying it completely. Should the res tank be installed when I do the flush, or can the hose just be left to drain in a drain pan?

Thanks for your patience and hope to hear from you soon.....This is going to be a fun project bike and I just want to do it right.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
If the coolant was just old and not real nasty or rusted I would just use water.
If the washer on the drain bolt is still looking good and a thick copper washer I would use it again.
It doesn't matter much if the tank is on or not since you only want to run flushing water through the main system.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^ No product on the market that is designed for an aluminum radiator will harm or do damage to yours. Don't overthink it. Sounds like you are off to as good start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^ No product on the market that is designed for an aluminum radiator will harm or do damage to yours. Don't overthink it. Sounds like you are off to as good start.
Thanks swifty2014 and squid chief.....really appreciate it!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yup you are over thinking things. The only thing I would say is check out your radiator cap and that is working right. Seals good etc. Make sure that is working right, your bike is a 99 and a cap is cheap. I would also squeeze any rubber hoses you have when you dump the coolant. A hose in good shape should be no problem but if the hose is worn out it will crack or feel brittle. Might as well test them out while you change the coolant. Same with the hose clamps. If they are all corroded this is the time to change them, cheap and no problems going forward.

Kind of the way I operate. If you are doing something hit the small stuff, make sure it's good to go or replace, clean etc.

I wouldn't worry much about the crush washer. I don't live near a Honda dealer so getting one is expensive for me. Shipping or I need to make a 2 hour trip for a washer.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
You do not need a "flush". There is nothing water will do that pressurized heated coolant has not already done. Drain. fill, fill reserve, burp done. If you do flush you need to collect all that liquid and properly dispose. Bad enough handling the coolant without a lot of garden hose contaminated water that did nothing.

Crush/sealing washers are meant to compact on installation creating a tight bond anywhere a fluid is drained. The second time you use it it is no longer a crush/sealing washer, it is just a washer and not expected to seal. In fact a washer is used to ensure there is no seal. Many many members use the same drain washers over again but I wonder if they are the members who end up with leaks? So since you may have a dealership close by, find out what drain washers you need and buy 5 of each of them for $2. and you will be happy.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You do not need a "flush". There is nothing water will do that pressurized heated coolant has not already done. Drain. fill, fill reserve, burp done. If you do flush you need to collect all that liquid and properly dispose. Bad enough handling the coolant without a lot of garden hose contaminated water that did nothing.

Crush/sealing washers are meant to compact on installation creating a tight bond anywhere a fluid is drained. The second time you use it it is no longer a crush/sealing washer, it is just a washer and not expected to seal. In fact a washer is used to ensure there is no seal. Many many members use the same drain washers over again but I wonder if they are the members who end up with leaks? So since you may have a dealership close by, find out what drain washers you need and buy 5 of each of them for $2. and you will be happy.
If easily available I would get a new crush washer but they can be used twice easily with no leaks, oil, coolant whatever. Use them 4 or 5 times and I bet you leak. Like I said I don't have cheap access to these so I reuse. To a point that is.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
If easily available I would get a new crush washer but they can be used twice easily with no leaks, oil, coolant whatever. Use them 4 or 5 times and I bet you leak. Like I said I don't have cheap access to these so I reuse. To a point that is.
I agree, in my first few years (before internet) I did not go to a dealership but when I finally stopped by I bought 3 air filters 5 oil filters 5 crush washers. I tape the washers to the filters so I don't forget. I think the washer is just something that gets forgotten. I figured Honda would charge $2 each but no they gave me 5 and no charge. I am at 22 oil filter changes and 6 coolant changes on my VT1100C2 and nothing leaks. I have always wondered why the washer doesn't come with the filter and add .50 to the price.

G.

·
Registered
205 Posts
For what it’s worth, my daily driver ‘06 RSX-S has 155k miles on it and the original factory crush washer is still on the oil drain bolt which doesn’t leak. Same with the oil and coolant crush washer on my Shadow, it’ll get replaced when it leaks, they’re low pressure systems so a leak from a badly sealing crush washer that has a properly torqued fastener will be very slow.

Note, this does not apply to copper brake line crush washers, they are a high pressure seal and can experience over 3500psi and should absolutely be replaced every single time they are removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts