Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read the sticky but just wanted so more advice or assurance. At 600 miles put the honda crude back in. I now have almost 1000 miles on it. Is it, (loaded question) ok, to go ahead and put Amsoil or Mobil 1 in. Please answer as I have read a ton of crap and am still sitting here trying to figure what the answer is. Dealer says no, but I trust you folks, not the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
trjam, run the Honda oil till your next oil/filter change. No reason NOT to use this oil/filter till then. THEN change to your favorite "syn oil/filter". No biggy. But you can change it now IF your wish...but to me it's the cost factor. :roll:

Putting the "syn" oil in at 600 miles is, well, OK but a little more "break-in" would be a great help to the internal machined parts/pieces. That's why I am suggesting this route. A little more "meet-n-greet" for the engine parts is not harmful.

After you make the change...your idle "RPM's" will creep up....just re-adjust to the normal idle. It's just the "slippery" nature of this oil...kinda like "free RPM". 8)

Bullzeyet

PS: I've been running "syn" oils in my bikes since 1980. Used in my 2 new V-4 Sabre's(700/1100), 2 Gold Wings (1980, 1100/85, 1200) and 2, 1100 Shadows(95 and 96). I drive as often as weather permits for work (now retired), do many weekend rides of various lengths (100-500mi) and many long distance rides/events (500-3000 mi). Never had "oil" related problems on any of these bikes. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Hey Jeff,

I loaded my bike with Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic at the first oil change. No ill effects after 56,400 miles.

I believe the problem the dealer has is if you put the wrong oil into it. As stated in the oilology sticky, you want to make sure not to put the energy conserving oil in the bike because you have a wet clutch...meaning your clutch sits in the same oil as your bearings...and energy conserving stuff has friction modifiers that will make your clutch slip.

Hope this helps.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to both. Guess the question now is, "Amsoil or Mobil 1." :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,238 Posts
Heh, now that is a loaded question. I run Amsoil in my cars, motorcycles, lawnmower, etc., and I love the stuff. Really, I don't think there is a better oil on the market. Of course, I've heard people say the same about Mobil 1, so really, pick your oil and go with it. These engines are designed for dino oil, so anything synthetic you put in it is better than that, and you'll be fine. I would go with Amsoil, because that's what I have the most experience with. If it's any consolation, Amsoil says you can do extended drain intervals, and Mobil 1 makes no such claim. Does that mean Amsoil is any better? I change my oil in my car at 25,000 miles, and in the motorcycles at 10,000. Never had any problems, and the engines love it. (Really, how many cars go 200,000 miles and only require gas and an oil change every 25,000 miles!?!?) Now, that's not scientific, but given the state of the scientific community on other issues of today, I'll take proven results over scientific claims any day! Truth of the matter is, neither should give you any trouble. Change it at the recommended change interval (which I think is 4,000 miles) and you should be all set. If you believe in the product as I do, change your Amsoil between 8,000 and 10,000, but don't try it with the Mobil 1. Again, not scientific, but I go with what works.

Now, to add something more interesting: the oil is only as good as the filter you use. Amsoil is only good for a thousand miles with a junk filter, and junk oil will outlast it with a good filter. Use a good filter. Read MarkC's filter write-ups. This is the single best thing you can do for your engine. Remember that a good filter is not necessarily an expensive filter!

The can of worms is hereby opened!

--Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
trjam said:
thanks to both. Guess the question now is, "Amsoil or Mobil 1." :roll:
Either will work, but I think the price is about the same??
So, I would suggest (if your sure you want to go with synthetic!) the Amsoil, unless the Amsoil is going to be a problem for you to get?
And go with the 10W-40
MarkC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Mark, I was leaning towards Amsoil, just wanted to make sure that at 1000 miles it was ok. Guess there is only one way to find out. One last thing, these bikes have self adjusting valves. Can you hear them when they adjust. I ask in reference to the ticking sound some talk about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
tubes_rock said:
Amsoil says you can do extended drain intervals, and Mobil 1 makes no such claim. Does that mean Amsoil is any better? I change my oil in my car at 25,000 miles, and in the motorcycles at 10,000. Never had any problems, and the engines love it. (Really, how many cars go 200,000 miles and only require gas and an oil change every 25,000 miles!?!?) Now, that's not scientific, but given the state of the scientific community on other issues of today, I'll take proven results over scientific claims any day! Truth of the matter is, neither should give you any trouble. Change it at the recommended change interval (which I think is 4,000 miles) and you should be all set. If you believe in the product as I do, change your Amsoil between 8,000 and 10,000, but don't try it with the Mobil 1. Again, not scientific, but I go with what works.
All FULL synthetic oils make the claim to extended oil changes, ALL OF THEM! that is one of their "Synthetic's Claim To Fame".
The new Mobil Gold Cap is their "Extended Performance" line of oils.

Mobil's Web Site said:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance
Delivers advanced performance and guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for 15,000 miles. This fully-synthetic formulation is designed for today's longer service intervals.
Also, the oil change interval for the VT 1100's is 8,000 miles. But its better to think of that as a MAX mileage (A bad thing).

Just keep in mine that just because an oil can go 10,000 or 15,000 miles between oil changes don't mean that you can exceed the 8,000 mile oil change interval without VOIDING your warranty.
MarkC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
trjam said:
thanks Mark, I was leaning towards Amsoil, just wanted to make sure that at 1000 miles it was ok. Guess there is only one way to find out. One last thing, these bikes have self adjusting valves. Can you hear them when they adjust. I ask in reference to the ticking sound some talk about.
The valves don't really adjust, what happens is the lifter is a two piece thingy, the inter piece has oil pumped in under it. The oil creates a hydraulic cushion inside the lifter, this cushion takes up any small amount of valve lash.

There isn't anything about synthetic oil that would effect the breaking in of an engine, so at a 1,000 miles you should be fine, BUT! like what has already been said, going to your next oil change isn't going to be a problem either..
MarkC

P.S I have some information on my web page about the common engine noise in the VT1100 engines. Just click the link below my Sig pic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Ok, so tubes_rock said:

Now, to add something more interesting: the oil is only as good as the filter you use. Amsoil is only good for a thousand miles with a junk filter, and junk oil will outlast it with a good filter. Use a good filter. Read MarkC's filter write-ups. This is the single best thing you can do for your engine. Remember that a good filter is not necessarily an expensive filter!

Which begs the question: what is a good filter? Especially a not necessarily expensive one?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Went with Amsoil, sorry Spirit :oops: and love it. My bike and this oil love each other. Best thing is the smoothness in accelerating. Thanks to all of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
I am the biggest Mobile 1 fan. I have used it since it became available. It has always done me very well. In my bike, I use the 15W50 in my bike because it is the first non Energy Conserving that mobile 1 has that is fully synthetic. It says it is good for 15k between changes but I never go beyond 3000k between oils changes. This may be a little excessive for some, I also change my final drive oil every 3rd oil change. My thinking is that oil is very cheap compared to what it is it protects.

Now, I keep very good records and when it comes to selling one of my cars, simply showing someone that the oil was changed religiously is often enough for them to feel comfortable with the fact that you took great care of it. I don’t expect to sell my bike as I will likely drive it into the ground first, but who knows how long that might take, especially with a Honda.

Go with what you like, but my advice is never to go to 15k or what ever extended mileage the oil CLAIMS to be good for. :lol:
Cheers
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top