Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much riding at night as I do, I'll likely never get rid of the windshield. Last night, coming home from work, I hit a bat at about 60mph or so.:shock:
It was so loud I thought it was something bigger, like an owl. I went back to see, and it was a small brown bat. I hate that, they eat skeeters!
Would have sucked to take that on the chest!
Dan

·
Registered
256 Posts
Holy deflector shield, Batman! Sorry to hear there's one less skeeter-eater out there.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Back in High School I took a Bird to the chest @ 60 + and got a Nice Beak Hole in the chest and it almost knocked me off the Bike

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ride at night alot and I'm with you on the windshield. Last night a flock of beetles sounded like popcorn hitting the shield.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I had a turkey jump out of a tree that was up on a bank and thought for sure I was going to make contact as he basically did a free fall right at me - I threw my shoulder into the eminent collision so hard it hurt for a week. Fortunately the edible buzzard took one more stroke of the wing and cleared me. My wife was riding her bike behind me and she thought for sure the bird and I were going to become acquainted.

Flying critters are so unpredictable.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Dam! Dont kill the skeeter eaters! I keep threatening to remove mine...but then I remember how many big bugs I was off after an after dark ride.
Coop

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't have a shield and I ride at night a fair amount. I've taken some hits to the chest of small stuff. Even a lightning bug hurts like **** at 60mph. Ya'll are makin me want to get a shield lol.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I rode the Shadow for a week or so with no shield when I first bought it.

Then had repeat performance when I got the 1800.

Never Never Never again will I ride without a shield. I took enough bugs, gravel, sand and just general wind jolts to last me a lifetime during those two periods.

With the shields I have taken out 3 birds and have been shielded from a 4" rock coming off of a truck in the 3 years of riding.

One was a large male pheasant. The National Cycle Switchblade took it in stride. Sounded like a shotgun going off when I hit it.... Took it just above headlight high on the right side - bird came from the left. No damage to bike or me... Was making around 70 or 75 mph when the impact occurred. There twere a bunches of feathers flying...

·
Registered
561 Posts
I value my shield for reasons like that. We were riding last night, and you could see the swarms of gnats in the road. Luckily, the shield took care of most of them.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Why ride with a shield?

·
Registered
776 Posts
On occasion, early dusk rides remind me of flying the starthip Enterprise through a star field...I love my windshield.

Jim

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, windshields are good in my book. I have hit 3 birds, one in the helmet & two in the leg. Pretty good smack at 65 mph. Never hit one in the windshield but I have done some serious bug killing with it. I could use more bats here this year. still raining & it is mosquito heaven.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
A windshield a must for me. I ride early morinings when it is dark for 38 miles. There is allot of bugs, I,ve had rocks hit the sield allso

1 - 20 of 30 Posts