Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Honda Shadow 750
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used 1999 Shadow 750 that has been heavily modified. I noted after bringing it home the headlight low beam was out. No worries, bought a new bulb, good as gold. A few weeks later I noticed the bulb was burned out again. So I tested the power at the harness and it was 12v. High beam also had power.

I thought it was odd to blow two headlights, so I did a little research and ended up testing the battery voltage today.

At idle mid 13 v, revved 16-17.5. I am going to go over the grounds and clean them up - like I said, it's been modded so some of the wiring might be suspect.

Should I order a voltage regulator now or is it possible that everything will even out if the grounds are all cleaned up?

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,938 Posts
Well I'd consider that a classic sign that you need a new regulator.
Once it gets tired of blowing headlight bulbs it will be frying batteries or the ICM instead.
Don't waste your money on the $20 eBay offerings.
I put a cheap one on my bike and it lasted for 91 days on a 90 day warranty.
I ended up going to an Electrosport heavy duty on mine a few years back and it has lasted, it did require some rework of the mounts to fit, but it seems that many of the higher rated aftermarket ones do.

I'm sure you get some more advice as this is a favorite topic around here.
I also have a 1999 VT750 mine looks mostly normal. (-;

·
Registered
1999 Honda Shadow 750
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll see what sort of offerings I can find here in Canada.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,529 Posts
You could add a ground from the regulator to the frame and see if that helps. You can never have too many grounds.
The original type regulators dump excess current to ground when they cut off charging current to the battery.

·
Registered
1999 Honda Shadow 750
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could add a ground from the regulator to the frame and see if that helps. You can never have too many grounds.
The original type regulators dump excess current to ground when they cut off charging current to the battery.
I haven’t taken the bike apart yet, but I assume I just have to tap the existing ground off of the harness to a ground point on the frame?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,529 Posts
I would even put a ground wire from an attachment bolt for the regulator to the cleaned off spot on the frame.

·
Registered
1999 Honda Shadow 750
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed the new RR today. The old one was held on with a stiff piece of wire and the connector was a mess. Put the new one on, attached another ground, and used locking nuts to hold it in place. Voltage is a solid 14.ish even revving hard. Slapped in a LED headlight bulb and freeway blaster horn while I was at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts