Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 1100 ACE, V and H long pipes, no baffles, pulled the carbs today to check into what the previous owner did, 165 main jets, needles on the 4th notch from the top, the instructions off the net call for 175 mains with open pipes, the bike runs very well, only getting 36mpg, wanted to check it out.....getting baffles this week, she's noisy/annoying on longer runs, pilots adjusted within limits....pipes are black all the time, plugs seem alittle dark, any ideas? great forum, **** :?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2002 Spirit 1100 had 185 Mains, reduced them to 175's and clip in 2nd notch from the top front cyl, 3rd notch rear cyl. MPG went up to 45-50MPG I would suggest dropping the needle clip to the 2nd or 3rd notch from the top allowing the needle to drop down more. Going to 175's will mean more fuel passing through. Baffles will help also. What do your plugs look like??? I would guess very black and crusty???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, the plugs are fouled again, not gross, but break down at higher rpms, will drop needles some, why are the settings different front to back?.....thanks, ****

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
slickster said:
Why are the settings different front to back?.....thanks, ****
I believe the front cylinder runs cooler due to better airflow around the fins, and that is the reason for the different clip / jet settings.

CB

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am not sure why the different settings, CleoBen may be right. I had a few mechanics including the guy dyno testing my bike comment the front cyl on Honda's should be set a little leaner than the rear. I tried them equal at 1st but have better results with them mixed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense to me, will adjust needles and let you all know....thanks again, ****....now if I can just find a "windshield stretcher"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts