Honda Shadow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres another thought..if you died tomorrow in a MC wreck despite wearing all that gear..would your regret that your last ride was spent bundled up in all that stuff when you could have been riding free, feeling the wind in your hair and on your bare skin?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i know you are a curious fellow. I am also. But does it really matter. If someone wants to wear gear, let them wear gear. If it helps them to enjoy the ride even the slightest bit more, wear as much gear as you want. If someone wants to wear absolutely no safety gear what so ever, let them wear no gear(if it's within the law). If wearing no gear helps them to enjoy the ride even in the slightest bit more, wear as little gear as you are able. My opinons on gear won't sway anyone set in their ways, just like someone's opinions won't sway me. It's just a tug of war that will never be won.

It's all about enjoyment for me. I just ride, I don't think about the fellow who I meet on the road in flip flops, no helmet, tank top and ball shorts. I don't think about the guy who has the neon jacket, $700 dollar helmet, high dollar riding boots, and riding pants. Don't get me wrong, I want them all to get home safely, but most of all.. I just hope they are enjoying the ride as much as I am.

Just ride.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
..if you died tomorrow in a MC wreck despite wearing all that gear..would your regret that your last ride was spent bundled up in all that stuff
Not in the least. In fact i could ask you, if you were going 10 miles an hour and hit a pot hole fell onto your head and died, would you regret not wearing a helmet which certainly would have saved your life?

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know you are a curious fellow. I am also. But does it really matter. If someone wants to wear gear, let them wear gear. If it helps them to enjoy the ride even the slightest bit more, wear as much gear as you want. If someone wants to wear absolutely no safety gear what so ever, let them wear no gear(if it's within the law). If wearing no gear helps them to enjoy the ride even in the slightest bit more, wear as little gear as you want. My opinons on gear won't sway anyone set in their ways, just like someone's opinions won't sway me. It's just a tug of war that will never be won.

It's all about enjoyment for me. I just ride, I don't think about the fellow who I meet on the road in flip flops, no helmet, tank top and ball shorts. I don't think about the guy who has the neon jacket, $700 dollar helmet, high dollar riding boots, and riding pants. Don't get me wrong, I want them all to get home safely, but most of all.. I just hope they are enjoying the ride as much as I am.

Just ride.

I am a curious fellow.. I also like people to think, think beyond what is right in front of their eyes but at the end of the day I also want everyone to get home safely and enjoy themselves..does it really matter? No more or less than what type of oil one decides to use, or whether you put on Vance and Hines as opposed to Cobras, or if you choose a saddlebag that cost 100 bucks compared to one that cost 300 bucks.. truthfully if we stopped asking questions that did not matter there would be no forum

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Riding free eh??
With or without any gear I still seem to spend money for fuel, oil, rego etc.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
i know you are a curious fellow. I am also. But does it really matter. If someone wants to wear gear, let them wear gear. If it helps them to enjoy the ride even the slightest bit more, wear as much gear as you want. If someone wants to wear absolutely no safety gear what so ever, let them wear no gear(if it's within the law). If wearing no gear helps them to enjoy the ride even in the slightest bit more, wear as little gear as you are able. My opinons on gear won't sway anyone set in their ways, just like someone's opinions won't sway me. It's just a tug of war that will never be won.

Just ride.
Well said AJ :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Heres another thought..if you died tomorrow in a MC wreck despite wearing all that gear..would your regret that your last ride was spent bundled up in all that stuff when you could have been riding free, feeling the wind in your hair and on your bare skin?
Seriously, you're asking this??

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not in the least. In fact i could ask you, if you were going 10 miles an hour and hit a pot hole fell onto your head and died, would you regret not wearing a helmet which certainly would have saved your life?
Funny you should mention that

Battered and broken he lay in the hospital bed his injuries many and serious, He did not catch that black sedan that slammed into his rear..the bike veered sharply into the guard rail, his wife, dead instantaneously from a head injury, he went down the embankment, branches tearing through his tee shirt, a jagged rock left a deep gash that was merely inches away from being fatal.. He lay in the bed thinking about his stance against gear, about what others who wore gear said all those years..he thought about his deceased wife. would a helmet have saved her he asked himself? Is it my fault she is dead?

No..the voice said.. no and yes..and suddenly there she was.. No it isn't your fault and yes a helmet would have.. but it was I who decided not to wear one.. not because of you but through my own desire.. if I had it to do again I would have ridden the same way yesterday..I would not have traded that freedom for all the security in the world..

You are right he replied.. I am sorry I lost you, I miss you so. I am scared about the pain I am in and the injuries I am suffering but when I think of all the great rides, the breeze, the gentle peace of being at deaths door and not caring.. no I would not trade it either.. rest in His arms my love.

and with that he fell asleep and she was gone.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I only regret my rides when they are over. I don't worry too much about what I was wearing or not wearing while I was riding, just that I was riding is enuff for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hard to answer. I often ride in flip flops and board shorts but you'll always see me in helmet and gloves. I keep my head shaved so no worries on feeling the wind through my hair.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Funny you should mention that

Battered and broken he lay in the hospital bed his injuries many and serious, He did not catch that black sedan that slammed into his rear..the bike veered sharply into the guard rail, his wife, dead instantaneously from a head injury, he went down the embankment, branches tearing through his tee shirt, a jagged rock left a deep gash that was merely inches away from being fatal.. He lay in the bed thinking about his stance against gear, about what others who wore gear said all those years..he thought about his deceased wife. would a helmet have saved her he asked himself? Is it my fault she is dead?

No..the voice said.. no and yes..and suddenly there she was.. No it isn't your fault and yes a helmet would have.. but it was I who decided not to wear one.. not because of you but through my own desire.. if I had it to do again I would have ridden the same way yesterday..I would not have traded that freedom for all the security in the world..

You are right he replied.. I am sorry I lost you, I miss you so. I am scared about the pain I am in and the injuries I am suffering but when I think of all the great rides, the breeze, the gentle peace of being at deaths door and not caring.. no I would not trade it either.. rest in His arms my love.

and with that he fell asleep and she was gone.
I get it. Riding is risky but we should be free to ride like we want. If you are gripped with fear and dread or bound in armor you are not free.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Simple answer.

NO

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wouldn't regret it one bit. The most comfortable ride for me is around 50 - 60 degrees, full face helmet, leather jacket and gloves, and a heated vest. Even when crossing into states where I can ride without a helmet, I don't. Even with the windshield, there's too much stuff bouncing off the shield on my helmet. I prefer not to take that shot to the face. When riding without jacket and gloves, I've gotten rocks and gravel kicked up from cars catching me in the knuckles and arms. That's not enjoyable to me. Plus, if I'm riding without these things, that means it's hot out. I hate riding in the summer time. I'd much prefer 30 - 40 degrees over 90 - 100.

It seems like you ask these questions with the assumption that we would all prefer to ride "free", but that some are just too scared to do so. That's just not the case.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
If I died in a mc wreck tomorrow I'd be dead and wouldn't care. But, on a more philosophical note like your question implies I think each rider has to be true to his/her beliefs. Do what you enjoy and ride the way that you enjoy most. ( BTW I really hate hitting bugs with my face at 70mph so a full face helmet for me is not constricting) I enjoy riding when I know I am doing everything in my power to make it a safe ride, including wearing proper safety gear. I'd rather live longer than ride in a way that I know lessens my survivability.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Wouldn't regret it one bit. The most comfortable ride for me is around 50 - 60 degrees, full face helmet, leather jacket and gloves, and a heated vest. Even when crossing into states where I can ride without a helmet, I don't. Even with the windshield, there's too much stuff bouncing off the shield on my helmet. I prefer not to take that shot to the face. When riding without jacket and gloves, I've gotten rocks and gravel kicked up from cars catching me in the knuckles and arms. That's not enjoyable to me. Plus, if I'm riding without these things, that means it's hot out. I hate riding in the summer time. I'd much prefer 30 - 40 degrees over 90 - 100.

It seems like you ask these questions with the assumption that we would all prefer to ride "free", but that some are just too scared to do so. That's just not the case.
^^ Convict. I should'a read his post first!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Dave my friend, may I have some of what you're drinking? *facepalm* :lol:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would have no regrets about what I was or wasn't wearing. I doubt it would be anywhere near my last thoughts.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.