Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Auto Zone & picked up the above. I have an 02' Spirit 1100. I have 2 questions:

1) Usually I use Havoline Dex-Cool antifreeze. Bought Prestone Dex-Cool this time. Any comments regarding the Prestone brand?

2) Picked up Prestone DOT 4 synthic brake fluid. Any responses to using a synthetic brake fluid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
There is a difference between the Dex-Cool and the Dex-Cool compatible. The Dex-Cool for many is on hold due to a HUGE law suit against GM for major cooling system problems. The Dex-Cool compatible's are probably fine.

Do a Yahoo search for "Dex-Cool Law suit"

One thing I've found out about the proper coolant for our bikes is to look for the Global type. All the Global coolants that I've found are the extended life (or mileage) (or forever) coolants. They are ALL, silicate free, borate and phosphate free because of the requirments of the other countries.

I'm not sure about the synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid, I always buy the regular DOT 4 fluid from anywhere other than a bike shop.
MarkC

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
On the Dex-Cool, as MarkC stated, if it's true DexCool, I'd stay away from it.

If it's "compatible" with Dex-Cool, it should be ok.

Synthetic DOT 4 is fine. I run it in mine.
However, do a little research before you just buy any old brand.

I found that some of the synthetics actually have a lower boiling point
than the regular brake fluids.
I believe the last bottle I got was Prestone synthetic and had
quite a bit higher boiling point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.