Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Most likely impossible. In any event very expensive. You would need a wheel speed sensor, computer to monitor it and a module in the brake circuit to bleed/apply pressure. Probably cheaper to try and get a late model year Canadian version.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
No 'count opinion, worth what you paid for it.....

1. ABS is best suited for heavy bikes (Gold Wing, big Beemers) in the 900 pound plus range.
2. ABS also useful for riding at the razor's edge, not something cruisers are suited for.
3. If this is a big deal for you, the Honda Shadow line is not for you.

I think ABS on motorcycles is for techno weinies. We never ride in conditions where ABS would be an advantage (freeways, snow, hydroplaning puddles, etc) so I admit to being biased.

Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
ABS is wonderful and all bikes should have it.

ABS is for riders who don't want to lock up their wheels while braking heavily or braking on a slick surface.
Not good for those who want to "lay it down" to avoid an accident.

No, ABS is for people that either won't or can't develop the skills required to safely stop a motorcycle.

Here's a thought, how about we put autopilot and selfbalance on motorcycles as well. Better yet, just get someone else to ride your bike, that way no skill at all is required.

This trend toward removing responsibilty from the operator of vehicles is ridiculous. Antilock brakes, traction control, air bag jackets, cars that park themselves. Anything and everything to reduce riding/driving to the lowest common denominator.

How about this. If you can't learn the skills that it takes to ride/drive safely then you stay the he!! off/out of those vehicles and take the dam n bus. ;)

Oh, and Harvey, when I say you I don't mean you exclusively but society in general. I use your post only to make the point. 8)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
In my experience as an accident investigator, I believe that ABS has been the cause of more accidents than they have prevented. Although it is difficult to predict how many accidents were prevented. But the fact of the matter is, ABS prevents your wheels from locking up, hence allowing you to steer away from trouble under extreme braking conditions. Most drivers just hammer the brakes but not steer away. Plus you also get drivers that drive like idiots who think they are invincible driving with ABS.

If you have two different types of surfaces ie asphalt road and gravel shoulder, you will ditch your vehicle instantly if it has ABS and you have two wheels on the gravel.

So my opinion is ABS is way over rated. Acquire the skills to handle your machine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just thought it would be handy in the rain or on slick surfaces. And gat803 i'm sure that when motorized vehicles replaced the horse and buggy there were people back then that didn't want to change with the times also. You can never be too safe.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
You can never be too safe.

Ah actually, yes you can.
You can make something so safe that you suck all the fun out of it. You can make it so safe that people stop paying attention to what they're doing because "what the he!! even if I crash I won't get hurt."

All that most of this safety gadgetry does, is give you a false sense of security and turn a blind eye to the fact that some skill is required to operate a motorcycle. I'll ride naked, and depend on my experience/skill, and I'll still stay safer than any 100 other riders wearing/using all of the latest safety gimmicks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if you are afraid of being hurt or killed while riding a motorcycle, DON'T RIDE A MOTORCYCLE.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The problem is that MOST people are not taught to drive ABS vehicles properly and continue to drive like they dont have ABS which causes accident itself.
If you plant your foon on a regular brake you will lock the wheels. releasing the brake will (generally) unlock the wheels then you can press the pedal again only not as hard to stop the car with normal braking.
If you do this in an ABS car you run the risk of having zero braking when you release and reapply the brake. The system is designed to monitor all 4 wheel speeds and comparing their respective speeds. by releasing the brake the locked (or slow moving wheel ) could become the faster moving wheel causing confusion to the system.
on an ABS vehicle once the pedal is applied and a lock occurs you must leave you foot there unless you plan to accelerate again or no longer need the braking. You must let the system work. Problem is people are not taught this. Driving schools still teach Maximum normal braking and threshold braking as standard. This is not a bad thing as it is still necessary but unless you take a skid course you will never experience ABS until you need it.
AS I said in an earlier post. I hate ABS as it removes the most important aspect of control of the vehicle from my control.

·
Registered
946 Posts
ABS is wonderful and all bikes should have it.

ABS is for riders who don't want to lock up their wheels while braking heavily or braking on a slick surface.
Not good for those who want to "lay it down" to avoid an accident.

No, ABS is for people that either won't or can't develop the skills required to safely stop a motorcycle.

Here's a thought, how about we put autopilot and selfbalance on motorcycles as well. Better yet, just get someone else to ride your bike, that way no skill at all is required.

This trend toward removing responsibilty from the operator of vehicles is ridiculous. Antilock brakes, traction control, air bag jackets, cars that park themselves. Anything and everything to reduce riding/driving to the lowest common denominator.

How about this. If you can't learn the skills that it takes to ride/drive safely then you stay the he!! off/out of those vehicles and take the dam n bus. ;)

Oh, and Harvey, when I say you I don't mean you exclusively but society in general. I use your post only to make the point. 8)
Gat - You make a couple of good points, unfortunately it's hard to see them through the snarky comments and anger laced into the post. Nice part of being in the the USA is we can all ride what we want, configured the was we want.

Hip-hip Hooray for the USA

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Blah, who needs it?
I like to feel my brakes and control them. I actually think I can do a better job at stopping than the ABS brakes do in my truck or car. Bike should be no different.
Use the Force, Luke!

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
antilock brakes

I rode a friends ST with linked brakes and at first it was wierd hit either brake and they both come on but then I got used to it. Linked brakes make for a nice controlled stop and it takes the guess work out of it. Even seasoned pros have a hard time in certain conditions stopping without some fish tailing or sliding.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Gat - You make a couple of good points, unfortunately it's hard to see them through the snarky comments and anger laced into the post.
Well, duh.
This must be the first one of my comments you're read. I generally make good points and I'm usually snarky. It's kinda my thing. :mrgreen:

I'll take safety equipment over arrogants any day!
You confuse arrogance, with confidence. I'll take being good over being lucky every day of the week. I practice (even after over 40 years on motorcycles) I pay attention, and I practice some more. That makes me confident, not arrogant.

Snarky fun aside, I just believe that some technology is neither helpful nor good for motorcycling as a whole. One of the things that makes riding fun is that it takes some dedication to learning to do it right if you want to become an old rider. That old phrase "If it was easy, anyone could do it" is so apt. It is easy, but not everyone can do it......and they shouldn't. ;)

Glad to help out. :wink:
Fix the joke, baby. (Bob and Tom reference)
All help is appreciated.

***Spiritman, et al. Please before you delete some of this wonderful conversation for being in the tech portion of the forum, I would respectfully ask that you consider moving it to the appropriate location such that others may enjoy adding their insights.
Thank you. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.