Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Shadow VLX
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any certified technician in forum from Ottawa. Got a VLX 600. Got it used. Drove almost home 80 kms. Back home changed coolant and cleaned carb, though it was almost clean I learned later.

The bike runs rich. Tried cleaning up carbs 3 times. Almost giving up on it and it spoils my weekend as it took couple of my weekends to just mess with it.

If anyone can help get it back on the road. I can take it to the dealership but don't know how much they will charge for a tune up.

Thoughts on getting it back on the road?

thanks

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the Air mixture screw on the carb? I don’t know much about the 600, but you should be able to go 2.5 turns out from lightly seated.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

·
Registered
2002 Shadow VLX
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That one I didn't touch. As I see that might never been adjusted after factory. When I pulled things apart things were oily / dirty around and no has touched the area recent past. I would not also touched the carb, but was running only with choke till it warmed up. Later I almost drove home 80 kms without any issue except fron tire was low on air when I reached home.

The bike is totally stock and just wanted that way as well.

·
Registered
2002 Shadow VLX
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will post a photo soon. Plugs are getting fuel fouled. Its like undrivable & if I drive everyone might stare at me. I once drove to end of street, on high acceleration looks like running, but as soon as I close the throttle engine dies. I have click start few times before it would start again.

Going to check the pilot screw. That doesn't look like was touched before and the bike was driving well on the day I bought it, but given the 'D' screw dont know if they adjusted it to the 'dirty carb'. Dont know if the cleanup made the passages a little more free to make it run rich.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts