Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 VT1100 Spirit with the two-up switchblade windshield. I am Still getting a lot of wind on my chest and some buffeting. The wind is coming up under the shield and over the tank.

Looking at lowers:

1) National Cycle chrome
2) Rifle

I'm wondering if the Rifle lowers will work better since they appear wider.
The National cycle lowers are supposed to attach onto the existing windshield mount but I have read that it may not be that simple because the bolts may be too short.

Anyone have experience with these? confirm/deny?

Thanks!

·
Registered
943 Posts
the 2 up windshield, is that the national cycle one ?????

I have been looking at it and was wondering if anyone knew if it really was a help to the passanger, at my height, I would be looking through it, but I am ok with that.....its the passanger I was thinking of, so any comments in the know would be nice

I want to buy a second shorter one for commuting though.....

as for the lowers, I think the chrome would just look cool, not sure how well they work though

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I have the Sabre withe the NC HD Winshield and also their Chrome Lowers and they work great, will not eliminate 100% of wind but will definetly cut down a whole lot of it, my eyes used to water with just the windshield and don't know more with the lowers, I also have the Cobra Engine Guards and in cold and wet weather I put these on the guards http://www.sagebrushdesigns.com/ these cut down on most all the wind, keeps the legs warmer and also a lot drier in the rain.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got the memphis shades lowers on my new spirit 1100. I've played with various positions (vertically) on the forks. all the way up, against the bottom of the windshiled (in front of the turnsignals) seems to be best. I still get a small amount of wind behind the shield, but not much. I think they are definitely worth it.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The National Cycle chrome give minimal protection and aren't very good in my opinion/experience, but they look good, so I still have them on.
The Memphis Shades brand on the other hand are great for protecting against updrafts and buffeting.
I've noticed on my bike (1100 Shadow Spirit) that the air comes up under the windshield, along the sides of the tank, so that's where I mounted my lowers - on top of my crashbars. I also made them adjustable, so I can scoop air in during hotter rides.
So, unless you like the looks of the National Cycle lowers, don't waste your money on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I got the bike out on the highway today first without the windshield, then with the windshield. The windshield takes a lot of pressure off but there was still the blast coming right over the top of the tank primarily on the left causing a little pressure on the chest and buffeting.

Then I noticed that there was a 3-inch gap between the bottom sides of the windshield and the turn signals. I got curious and slid the signal mounts up to where the signals were just under the windshield. Back out on the highway there was virtually no blast over the top of the tank and the buffeting was much reduced! There was still a wind blast though. It had moved to where it was coming up the both sides of the tank guided by my shins over my knees. So now I get an upward blast on my sides instead of my front.

Such a subtle change made a big difference! I thought about lowering the windshield to meet the turn signals in their original location but the headlight is just too high.

I still haven't decided which lowers to get. The consensus on the NC chrome lowers (after reading a bunch of reviews) is that they look good despite no chrome in the back and sloppy welds and they might function ok. They attach to the switchblade mounts but are not quickly mounted/removed like the windhield. That's probably why they are chromed.

Can't find much review info on the Rifle lowers but they mount with their own hardware and have little cutouts to go right up under and around the turn signals.

I don't have engine guards but that is another possibility for blocking wind.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.