Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a craftsman 18 hp rider. It's cutting off after about 30 mins of running. It will usually start back up but the the running time is reduced and it cuts off more frequently. I've done some searching on the net, and found that this model engine's carb has a anti fire solenoid at the bottom of the float bowl. I've read and watched videos of by passing this solenoid by cutting off the plunger part and then installing a manual fuel cut off valve.

Has anyone done something like this or know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it was worth a shot asking here, I searched the net for several hours, and the above fix worked like a charm, I ran my yard and two neighbor's yards and the engine ran like brand new and never cut out once. Rather than 80.00 to 120.00 for the replacement solenoid only $6. & change for the fuel cut off valve.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
My mower did the same thing. I cleaned the carb and then changed the gas saturated oil and it has ran great! I still need to add that manual shut off....
Mine is a Kohler on a Cub Cadet.
Coop

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
My mower did the same thing. I cleaned the carb and then changed the gas saturated oil and it has ran great! I still need to add that manual shut off....
Mine is a Kohler on a Cub Cadet.
Coop
You can do my yard if you need more time on the mower. I suppose Oregon is a little far to drive the mower though. Is a riding mower as much fun as a motorcycle?

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
glad to hear you got it fixed Dad. :)

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can do my yard if you need more time on the mower. I suppose Oregon is a little far to drive the mower though. Is a riding mower as much fun as a motorcycle?
A little far is right, I'm having to dismiss my mom's 3rd yard guy at the end of the month due to her speech issues, and will be doing her yard every two weeks. She's about 150 miles east of me.

And no the mower isn't as fun as the bike, but it do get you outside. I can't hear the wife on either.8)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I had a new JDeere mower with a kolher engine, and ended up being the ignition coil. Glad you found your problem though.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I've done the exact same thing.
My mower is still working this way after 5 years. Just be certain you never forget to shut off your fuel valve. On mine, if I don't shut the fuel off within a few minutes of shutting the engine down it WILL fill the engine with gas.

Don't ask how I know this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts