Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this is the wrong place for these questions, but I'm not getting much response on the V4MuscleBike website.

I called a gentleman about a 97 Magna he had for sale. He then proceeded to tell me he had a V30 and the 86 for sale also. From the pictures the 97 looks to be in excellent condition with 24,000 miles and he stated it runs great. He said the 86 and V30 were in similar condition with similar mileage.

I have been reading up tonight about the V30 and V42?(since it's a 700 some people call it that because the 750 is the V45) as I know nothing about them. The reviews on line are good especially of the V30 500. He's talking very fair prices and hinted that they would be even better if I bought more than one.馃榿

A retired gentleman of 74 that is getting out of motorcycling to focus solely on his planes and flying. He came across as straight forward and honest. He's 80 miles away. My concern is this is Montana and winter so I'm not sure I will be able to test ride but 80 miles away may mean better roads than I have here in Missoula.

Please share any wisdom and experience as mine is almost nil. I'm headed down on Friday or Saturday. Thank you and again apologies since these questions are not Shadow related.

Registered
1998 750 ACE
I got a 96 model 750 and LOVE It...
However the carbs need attention :(

V4 MuscleBike forums >>.
I have not pulled it up in quite a spell ;)

Mine COULD be bought,
Dennis

****We were typing together in different livingrooms RUNNER69 ;)

Registered
I keep eyeballing the Craigslist ads for Magnas. They are reasonably plentiful around here, and priced about the same as Shadows of the same age and condition. I think the Magna's offer the best HP/$ ratio of anything out there. But, I keep coming back to the thought of maintaining 4 carbs, and decide it isn't for me. From what I've read, finding a replacement exhaust can also be difficult and expensive. Spares might be an issue in general. Complete machines are the smart way to go, no matter how tempting the price, or at least get a good idea of the market for the missing items before making a purchase.

The only complaint about Magna's that I've seen from other forum members was regarding rider comfort.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
axman88 I'm with you about carbs but my brother-in-law is a good motorcycle mechanic. Years of riding carbureted dirt bikes, a Valkyrie with six carbs and he even very successfully switched an 81 Gold Wing from factory four carb set up to a single carb for one of his sons. I will find out tomorrow when I see the bikes in person, but in pics the 97 looks complete and in excellent condition.
I sent a text to the owner to verify the time tomorrow and now he told me that he has five other bikes to show me besides the V30, 86 and 97 in his airplane hangar. I don't know what they are or condition but well worth the 160 mile round trip for a motorcycle addict to see 8 motorcycles for sale.

Registered
'83 VT750C; 鈥21 SV650A
Best of luck on the trip! The early Magnas, especially the V65, were nice. the Shadow was the slow looker, while they were the hot rods鈥 with a very smooth V4 engine. The older ones will be the same experience as the Shadows. If there are a good supply of bikes around, you won鈥檛 be hurting for parts for a while.

Take some pictures while you鈥榬e there to show us! It IS Montana mid-Winter, so he probably doesn鈥檛 have people busting down his doors. If he鈥檚 an aviator, he鈥檚 bound to have them kept in pretty good shape mechanically as well. Pilots tend to be sticklers for that. If it鈥檚 worth going to look, it鈥檚 worth making the trip back to buy鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went and saw the bikes today. The other five bikes were parts bikes. Three were early 80's Magna's and the other two were 80's 900 Customs. His brother lives nearby and loves to take bikes apart and not put them back together and spreads parts all around a big shop. I have a soft spot for the 900's but I didn't take the time to really search around the shop to make sure everything was there. The brother hadn't torn into the engines but they were very neglected with missing and broken blinkers, body panels, gas tanks and seats. It was not real cold but 15 degrees after awhile starts to creep in and at 74 he was getting very cold.

Now to the V30, 86 and 97.....He hadn't started or ridden them since early fall. The lights came on but they wouldn't start. The 97 was immaculate with 18,000 miles. The 86 was in good shape and all there. It had about the same mileage. When he last rode the 86 it was leaking from the carbs. I was interested in riding the V30 as I don't think I had ever seen one before. It was in fair shape with a missing right side panel and rips and tears in the seat. It had just under 9000 miles. He had searched for a panel but said he had not found one. He told me he had another V30 in better condition but it was at a friends in Washington.

I found out he has numerous old cars in various garages. My favorites were a 55 Crown Victoria and a 68 Mustang convertible. Those I just saw pictures of and they were cherry. He loves the 60's Econoline trucks and vans and has four of each. And his four airplanes. A couple of which were acrobatic planes. He said now at his age he's doesn't do much acrobatic anymore.

Back to the bikes. He will be gone the next two to three weeks to Arizona so now I have to decide on the 97 and if I want more of a project in the 86. He's asking $2300 for the 97 but after visiting I think $2000 would be fine and maybe even some lower. We didn't talk money yet on the 86. I'm very sorry I didn't take pictures. Not only to share but for myself.

He told me I knew where he was and just to give him a call with what I decide. That's my story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts