Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife is progressing down the path of getting her own bike...today we went and looked at a Buell Blast. Our son has a bigger Buell (don't know what size), but I noticed that the little Blast started and sounded just like his, so all seemed well during start up.

It has an automatic choke. After the choke opened, and rpm came down, the idle was smooth, and I took it for a test ride.

Off the line, it sounds like this: uh---uh---uh---uh---uh--uh--uh--uh-uh-uh-uh,uh,uhvroooom.....

Not stumbling, not cutting out, closer to stuttering...just feels different than any single I've ridden. I currently have a Honda 250 single dual sport, and it's kinda snappy off the line...this Buell Blast is anything but snappy off the line...

Does anyone know if that is normal?

· Registered
1,329 Posts
Is it by chance one of the old "rider's acadamy" bikes or a safety program? I know some of those bikes are detuned for safety as they are primarily used in low speed practice and maneuvering.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it by chance one of the old "rider's acadamy" bikes or a safety program? I know some of those bikes are detuned for safety as they are primarily used in low speed practice and maneuvering.
It wasn't advertised as an "academy" bike...but I didn't think to ask that question. Seems to run out ok, after getting it going. It's just that initial letting out of the clutch to get rolling seems a bit weird...

· Registered
1,329 Posts
is it slipping? if its a bike that has been used like that, I'm sure you can guess that the clutch might need to be looked at as those classes arent easy on them.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Don't do it... My co-worker had one for about a year. In a word; nightmare. For a 500cc it was underpowered when it actually ran. It would just quit running even at highway speeds. At the time there were plenty of horror stories on the web about the Blast and poor reliability too.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
They book around $450-$600. For some reason, most owners think they are still worth $1000+

They're not.

For $500, it's better than a pocket racer. For $1000+, you are going to be much happier with something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.