Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting excited about this forum Borego springs ride...first off I have no clue where borego springs, but who cares, It looks like I can get off work to go.

My only issue, my bike is close to its 600 mile service, but I dont trust the dealership to get it back in time, so I'm gonna wait until afterwards,then I can have some real miles on it

Anyway, was just getting amped up about it

·
Registered
949 Posts
sdbrit68 said:
getting excited about this forum Borego springs ride...first off I have no clue where borego springs, but who cares, It looks like I can get off work to go.

My only issue, my bike is close to its 600 mile service, but I dont trust the dealership to get it back in time, so I'm gonna wait until afterwards,then I can have some real miles on it

Anyway, was just getting amped up about it
you mean the oil change that takes 15 minutes in the driveway?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have called,they wont give me a real answer as to what they do for the 600 mile check up.

oil change is a given, one dealership told me they had to adjust the valves until I said to try again, i bought this bike because that wasn't a concern.........

But 3 hours of labor ????????

what else can they do besides an inspection that I do basically every morning.

maybe adjust the timing a little........the carbs have all been redone when I took it in for a little oil leak..so whats left ?

·
Registered
628 Posts
sdbrit68 said:
...so whats left ?
Nothing. Seriously, do the oil change yourself and save a couple hundred bucks. Your warranty will still be good, just document the oil change & save the receipts.

The 600 mile service is nothing but a money-maker for the dealership.

JMO

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Wish I could make it. You will love the drive, it is a great ride. Enjoy and please give my best to all of the folks who show up. As hotchick said, she has no sympathy because I am missing it to be on a cruise ship :roll: , but after the last 6 months that I have had, I need to be on the seas, out of blackberry range and in reach of a bar. 8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree, do the oil change the just ride!
I change the oil in my VT1100C2 every 1500 miles. (along with every bike I've owned in the last 30 years)
Some will say do it like a car at every 3000 miles.
I look at it this way, a car does not have wet clutches adding clutch dust to the oil.
1500 mile oil changes will keep your scooter running a long time.

My two cents,

Denny

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought that Honda needed authorized service to honor their warranties,but if they dont,the heck with them.....I'll do it myself

·
Registered
188 Posts
600 miles

They change oil and adjust valves (if required).

The valve adjustment is the time consuming and money maker for the stealers. Even if they do not need to adjust the valves they will charge it.

They got me like that, but i went to a regular bike mechanic after the bike waranty was over, and he told me that the shadow do not need this valve adjustment most of the time.

So for my wife's shadow we never went to the stealer, we went to this mechanic and along with the years we realised that the shadow ACE 750 needs valve adjustment every 12000 miles about.

So do your oil change, check your chain tension and go for that ride. When you will come back go to a bike mechanic and ask him to see if you need your valve adjusted. That will cost less than at the stealer.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
what else can they do besides an inspection that I do basically every morning. maybe adjust the timing a little.
If "adjust the timing" is on the work order and you get charged for it...get a lawyer quick. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts