Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having great temps in our new hometown (lost our previous home to fire end of October) so of course, I went riding. Using the clutch alot being in a big city and upon heading home my left hand was in excruciating pain everytime I pulled in the clutch!! What on earth?! I don't otherwise have any issues with the hand whatsoever that I know of and it never did this before.:?:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm new to riding but I noticed that happening to me and I haven't gone on any long rides. I was talking to a buddy and he said something about not drinking enough water can lead to easily cramping up and didn't know if that would relate to what I was experiencing. I just blamed it on not having ever shifted with a hand clutch before so it would just take some strengthening of my hand muscles. I do know that I don't drink enough water so maybe it has something to do with that too?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
It could be a result of a combination of heavy usage and being tense for whatever reason, such as the city being unfamiliar to you or possibly unrelated tension manifesting it's self in how you grip the bars. I'm just thinking out loud, not out of any knowledge.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yhats what ill have to say. A lot of use nervous and just the whole deal of rideing in a unknown place. If you never had a problem before. But if it happen and your not in a town or your just being you see a Dr. really not something to joke with

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It could be a result of a combination of heavy usage and being tense for whatever reason, such as the city being unfamiliar to you or possibly unrelated tension manifesting it's self in how you grip the bars. I'm just thinking out loud, not out of any knowledge.
I agree with this.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You might also want to make sure your levers are set on a straight line to your forearms. Having them adjusted wrong could cause discomfort from repetitive use, as in traffic and lots of stop/starts.

Damian

·
Registered
170 Posts
It could be a mild case of carpeltunnel (sp?)...you can stretch it by placing your palms together as if you were praying. To make it work, your forearms need to be parallel to the ground and your fingers straight up...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about that pain. I saw an article from someone who seemed pretty smart about these things. See if this offers any useful info.

Wrist Pain From Motorcycle Riding and pulling on the Clutch

Sounds the most feasible seeing how it isn't constant. For instance, I just ran a few errands and it wasn't an issue.

As for unfamiliar territory or nerves, I am back in my home city and I love it!! So definately ain't skeered, LOL. Plus I have manuevered my way to northern Ohio and back, down to Lawton, Talemina, etc.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have more aches than I could imagine, depending on what I did the day before, wrists,elbows, lower back, you name it. I'm 51, started when I reached about 49.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
You're just old and falling apart like the rest of us. Welcome to the age of aches and pains.
Good point. If you are over 40, the warranty on your body has expired. ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't know your age but that has a lot to do with it.

I'm 69 and some days are worse. Once and a while if it gets too bad I don't squeeze the clutch but pull my whole arm back. Once it is pulled I can hold it and release it without too much pain.

There is also a cream product I get at Walgreens called "pain buster". It works wonder for that kind of stuff.

I ain't about to quit riding!!!

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
March of 2010 I made a "Old Stomping Grounds Run" touring through Florida...
As I had much clutch use through the West Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale area my clutch hand was overworked and tired from all the use...
BUT NOT to a Painful Degree, though...
When I noticed this fatigue, I immediately got on I 95 to finish my trek to my sisters house in Hollywood to give the wrist a rest...
I still find that the clutch hand does get overworked in populated cities running traffic light to traffic light...
Hope your wrist ain`t hurt and it is just overworked,
D

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Use the clutch, don't fall for peer pressure. They wouldn't put a clutch on if they didn't want you to use it. Stretch your hand and wrist before you head out and get one of those hand strengtheners and use it regularly and you'll be fine. You can also occasionally kick into N when there's a couple cars behind you.

Dingo.

2010 Honda Shadow
Phantom Custom

This posted from my 'droid device.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts