Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Stop pushing the bike down in the corners, push the bike out and lean your body to the inside. You'll be surprised how little you scrape if at all after you master this.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Stop pushing the bike down in the corners, push the bike out and lean your body to the inside. You'll be surprised how little you scrape if at all after you master this.
What he said... Good advice, even went you ride sports bikes, your body leans more than the bike... :smile2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not quite sure what you guys mean but I'll try it on today's ride.

Sounds like you mean (what I call) butt steering. That's mostly leaning WITH the bike and not counter steering through curves and turns, but rather "leaning" through them.

Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I really like the laid back feel of my VLX. And, at a scant 5'-8" and 150 pounds, this bike fits me just perfectly.

However, even from the first few weeks I had it, I find myself dragging either the crash bars or the foot pegs.

I'm no joe sport rider and I don't go real fast. I'm 60+ years old and I ride pretty mellow (I think).

I did ride dirt all my early years and just started riding again but, I'm pretty sure that I know what's safe riding and what's not. I really don't understand it. But, it's is happening more and more often. I am to the point where, every time I take a corner, I am looking at my crash bars instead of the road in front of me.

It's not happening at high speeds. It's more often around a corner or out of a tight spot. Always less than 20 mph or so. Maybe 25 at most.

Like I said, I really love the low ride feel of this VLX but it's just not for me and my style of riding. If I am going to stay upright, I need to find a new bike. I am thinking of the Shadow Spirit. It looks pretty similar to the VLX but it looks a little higher off the ground. I'm not sure if that means the bottom clearance is more. Or, if the seat height is just higher.

Just wondering..... has anyone else has this problem with their VLX. Or, if anyone knows how the Spirit compares with the VLX in ride.

Thanks

EDIT: I am looking at some late model (2005 and newer) Spirits and I can't tell from looking. Do they have a 2 piece seat or a 1 piece? I absolutely need a driver backrest and that doesn't usually work with a 1 piece seat. TIA

Read Lee Parks' Total Control; excellent chapter about using body position to lessen the lean angle in a turn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Pics or it didn't happen is what we say here.

Ask and ye shall receive. LOL

Those crash bars sure look huge in this picture. I can't believe I am dragging the pegs with those giant crash bars. Glad to know those are coming off real soon. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
I occasionally will drag a heel but have not dragged a footpeg yet, ever, on any of the bikes I've ridden over these last forty five years. But I am afraid of sliding out, always have been, always will, even though I know I could lean more. If I drag a foot peg I will consider it an unnecessary risk/error on my part.

This could be why I am still riding after 45 years of doing it. :)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I occasionally will drag a heel but have not dragged a footpeg yet, ever, on any of the bikes I've ridden over these last forty five years. But I am afraid of sliding out, always have been, always will, even though I know I could lean more. If I drag a foot peg I will consider it an unnecessary risk/error on my part.

I was thinking I'm the only one who never dragged a peg on bike. I'm glad you posted this. :)

Ringo, simply put, it's got to be one of two things. Either you ride too aggressively for the bike, or you are leaning your body away from the turn instead of into it. If you lean your body away from the turn, you have to lean the bike harder into the turn. Read the Lee Parks piece for an explanation written my someone who knows best how to describe it.

·
Super Moderator
11,278 Posts

I agree, but this one turn into my street will get me, and a few others, like I said, all my peg scraping has been at slow speed, and I am in error. Hasn't gotten me though, and at this stage of life I really don't push it.

It's really not that big of a deal to me.

we've both been riding for about the same # of years, the last ten on my vlx.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wife's VLX is lowered 1 1/2" and does not drag corners with the new crash bar I just installed, but the cheap rectangular one would drag that was on it before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife had a VLX and I scraped the pegs a few times (usually on the left side for some reason - never on the right). And though it surprised me when it happened, I always thought the little nubs on the bottom of the pegs were there for leaning it over pretty far in a turn and dragging the pegs.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Assuming that dragging a peg is approaching the max lean angle that is safe, I came to the conclusion that an errant piece of dried mud, a patch of sand or oil, or around here a clump of hay in the road might just be enough lose of friction to dump the bike. I don't drag my pegs anymore.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It is in the shop right now getting a few things done (including removing the crash bars) so we'll see how I like it but I have developed the habit of simply leaning my foot back and pointing my toes up when I go around a corner so my heel drags just before the peg. This gives me all the warning I need.

I am becoming comfortable with the peg dragging now and then. It doesn't happen that often and when it does it's at low speed. Since the pegs fold up, I don't have a problem dragging them now and then. The crash bars were a different story. If those hit solid, it will flip the bike over like a top.

So, I think I am OK for now.

Since my '07 is in the shop I rode the '86 yesterday. WOW!!! There is NO WAY that I am going to drag the pegs on this thing. It's almost a sport bike in comparison to the VLX. I had a couple friends hold the bike and lean it until the peg touched. I would be knee dragging before that happened. And, it would have to be at very high speed. What a major diff between the '86 and the '07.

Anyway, bike season is about over here so I won't get any more than a couple more rides in before the snow comes. I guess we will see next year.

I am looking for a 250 Ninja to flat track next year. Maybe that will ease up my street riding habits. ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've scraped mine a few times, but mostly only if I "tried". I do however drag my right heel pretty regularly. And even leaned over enough to drag the peg, there is still a small section of tread that never gets used on the edge of the tire.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, there has been somewhat of a resolution in this situation since my first post.

Apparently (and, should have been, obviously) it's all about my riding style. Now that I own 3 motorcycles, it's oh so clear.

My mechanic is a flat track racer and he got my interest up on racing so I bought a Kawasaki Ninja. WOW!!! I love this bike. This is so amazing. I have not had this much fun in a long time. 0 to 70 in the blink of an eye and at 70 mph, it's really just entering it's power curve at 7000 rpm. I find myself cruising at 70 on this thing and it's only a 250cc. My 600 Shadow is struggling at 70. My guess is that this thing will do well over 100 mph without even getting close to redline.

I run a route between the city I live in and the neighboring city about 15 miles away. It's a country road with only one intersection and a speed limit of 45 (most of the way) and it's got a lot of nice curves. I started out at 45 and 50 mph but before long, I was over 70 mph on every trip. Now, it's 80+ and today I hit a new record at about 85 mph. I just LOVE this thing.

OK, now to the point. After riding like this lately and taking some pointers from my mech, I am learning to lean my body into the curve and, at the same time, push the bike upwards, away from the pavement (to keep as much tire and traction on the road as possible). I can swing though a tight curve and (if I lean almost parallel to the pavement) I can keep the bike almost completely upright.

Then, I come home and I hop on the Shadow....

I instantly notice how my style changes. It seems uncomfortable to lean hard and hold the bike upright like I do on the Ninja. What feels natural is to have my body and the bike in a (relatively) straight line and lean the bike and body together. However, when I find myself in a tight situation, I noticed that I automatically counter steer (which pushing the bike toward the pavement) and is probably why I was dragging my peg occasionally.

It is really nice to have two such different bikes and how they allow me to learn two so very different styles of riding. I can't wait until next year when I can get this bike on a professional track.

With Winter coming in quickly, I'll need to put both of these bikes away. I am looking for a dirt bike so I can ride all Winter. I remember riding my Yamaha Enduro in the Winter snow with my friends who had snowmobiles. LOL

Just thought I would update the thread. I also took the crash bars off the Shadow. I think it looks so much better.

Thanks again for all the tips. Just another example of how experience is, sometimes, the only answer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Well, there has been somewhat of a resolution in this situation since my first post.

Apparently (and, should have been, obviously) it's all about my riding style. Now that I own 3 motorcycles, it's oh so clear.

My mechanic is a flat track racer and he got my interest up on racing so I bought a Kawasaki Ninja. WOW!!! I love this bike. This is so amazing. I have not had this much fun in a long time. 0 to 70 in the blink of an eye and at 70 mph, it's really just entering it's power curve at 7000 rpm. I find myself cruising at 70 on this thing and it's only a 250cc. My 600 Shadow is struggling at 70. My guess is that this thing will do well over 100 mph without even getting close to redline.

I run a route between the city I live in and the neighboring city about 15 miles away. It's a country road with only one intersection and a speed limit of 45 (most of the way) and it's got a lot of nice curves. I started out at 45 and 50 mph but before long, I was over 70 mph on every trip. Now, it's 80+ and today I hit a new record at about 85 mph. I just LOVE this thing.

OK, now to the point. After riding like this lately and taking some pointers from my mech, I am learning to lean my body into the curve and, at the same time, push the bike upwards, away from the pavement (to keep as much tire and traction on the road as possible). I can swing though a tight curve and (if I lean almost parallel to the pavement) I can keep the bike almost completely upright.

Then, I come home and I hop on the Shadow....

I instantly notice how my style changes. It seems uncomfortable to lean hard and hold the bike upright like I do on the Ninja. What feels natural is to have my body and the bike in a (relatively) straight line and lean the bike and body together. However, when I find myself in a tight situation, I noticed that I automatically counter steer (which pushing the bike toward the pavement) and is probably why I was dragging my peg occasionally.

It is really nice to have two such different bikes and how they allow me to learn two so very different styles of riding. I can't wait until next year when I can get this bike on a professional track.

With Winter coming in quickly, I'll need to put both of these bikes away. I am looking for a dirt bike so I can ride all Winter. I remember riding my Yamaha Enduro in the Winter snow with my friends who had snowmobiles. LOL

Just thought I would update the thread. I also took the crash bars off the Shadow. I think it looks so much better.

Thanks again for all the tips. Just another example of how experience is, sometimes, the only answer.
Glad you got it all figured out. As for the 85 in a 45, good luck with that one. :wink2:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
21 Participants
smilie
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing