Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor has some 7/8 bars off a moto Guzi. The rake and angle look like they would be more suited to a guy my size (6 foot 2 and 300 lbs) Any one tried this? let me know. We are also looking at trying a vulcan 900 seat on this vt700. Looks like we'll need to relocate the tail light. any comments or advice????

Thanks

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
As long as your old bars are 7/8" too, you shouldn't have many problems. Worse case scenerio...you will have to get longer control cables/hoses (clutch, brake, throttle, choke (if it is mounted on the bars)) and possibly have to lengthen the wiring to the switch housings. Some people have had luck re-routing the wiring to give them more room, but if it is a radical departure from stock, then it is best to re-wire.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
any 7/8" bars will work and with those big honkin' stock buckhorns, unless you go with 16" apes, you should have plenty of cable/wire/hose to work with - in fact you might have too much. But, I'm guessing the moto guzzi bars are more like cafe bars, so they should work fine.

I've got 5" straight risers and drag bars on my vt800 (nearly identical to your 86') and I'll likely get new cables this season since there's quite a bit of slack. I made the bar change because I also wanted less pullback - I'm 6' 2" as well.

The fender is molded to fit the taillight - so you can take off the light, but unless you can cover it up (maybe with the new seat?), there will be a big ugly space where the light used to be. If you do take it off, I think you'd have to replace it with another light - I'm not sure where you could re-position the stock light and have it look good. I'd vote for a side mount plate and light. When I put on my sidemount, I considered doing a new fender and putting the brake light on the mount, but in the end, I decided I liked the light where it was.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.