Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking over the wife's 07 and noticed it has a somewhat similar starter to my old '84 Goldwing. Couple years ago I began to experience something unusual with it. Good battery, wires fine, solenoid good. It would start cold but when warm it would barely turn the engine. I thought it would leave me walking a time or two.
I ordered a kit and opened it up. The brushes, as you can see are fine. The problem turned out to be those little tabs. Those tabs(tangs) were slightly bent and made contact with the aluminum end assembly. Held captured between the steel starter tube and the end cap, the tangs provided ground for the grounded brush. While cool it made connection but when warm and things expanded it would arc and sometimes not provide enough ground connection. Evident by the discoloration and burned areas on the ends of the tabs. New plate, fresh tabs plus I added some bend in them. Cleaned the aluminum areas where they had contacted it. Worked perfectly last time I saw it. Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
18,100 Posts
Starter problems have "been the buzz" here lately...
Thanks for the heads up!!!

Jims 1100 Yamaha had burn marks where a loose connection had been arching...
After we fixed the connection, the starter clutch went out???
A lot of "starter talk" around nowadays, these problems CAN BE expensive!!!

Luckily yours was a bit less expensive,
D
D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts