Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lead on trading a dirtbike that I never use for an 02 LS650. I have a thing for thumpers, but before I trade for another bike I will never use, I'm interested in passenger capabilities.

This will turn into my bobber project instead of the vt1100 but I will need it to be passenger savvy since my girl rides with me quite often.

From what I've found, it may win on the power to weight ratio (variables).
Savage: Power 31 Torque 50 and weighs in at 381lbs
vlx600: Power 39 Torque 49 and weighs in at 439lbs

And they seem to handle 70mph easily.

Any input?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Only savages I know fire bullets. Oh, and my brother, he's a savage.

2010 Honda Shadow Phantom- Custom

This one sent from my other 'droid device

·
Registered
449 Posts
My wife had an s40 which is the same. They have great bottom end torque and the aftermarket has lots of parts for them to do what you want. It is a light bike with all the characteristics like lots of vibration etc. It is great for beginners and short trips or moding but not so much on hauling a passenger any distance. Ther is a wealth of info in this site SuzukiSavage.com - Index

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can ride 2 up, but the one on the back better be little and light, that pillion is not your friend after 15 min. of riding. I had a 95 L650 and it was great. I did the timing chair mod. with much success, be sure to do the carb. adjustments as well. Great power and fuel mileage. I'm only 5" 6' [on a good day] and I could flat foot it.
Simple to own and maintain, be sure to buy the repair manual, it helps a lot. The forum listed by some is a great resource and a lot of good guys like here.

·
Banned
821 Posts
aye matey, plenty of dealin's with savages from each o' the 7 seas. beware the little ones talking about a stick sharpened at both ends

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried to register on several computers at SuzukiSavages with no luck but I did read about the issues. It'd surely be an around town or short trip gig. If she hates it enough she'll buy the butt butty I assume. I'll still have the 1100 if we decide to ride anywhere longer.

I read the top speed is 90 and they easily maintain 70-75mph.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Wifey had a 2006 Savage (S40) and it was a great bike, fun too!

It was VERY light so cross-winds could toss you around. It does cruise around 70 to 75 with ease and passing cars is easier on the Savage than on other bikes I've owned. It's also a very forgiving bike meaning that you never get the feeling it wants to take off without you, not too intimidating.
It can to two-up without issue but your passenger will likely feel cramped. I think it's a great first bike and would make a great bar-hopper doing occasional overnight rides.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i had a 96 savage - loved it - it thought it was toting 2 when i was on the bike by myself (400+lbs).......it survived.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
I've tried to register on several computers at SuzukiSavages with no luck but I did read about the issues. It'd surely be an around town or short trip gig. If she hates it enough she'll buy the butt butty I assume. I'll still have the 1100 if we decide to ride anywhere longer.

I read the top speed is 90 and they easily maintain 70-75mph.

Thanks for the info.
Look up Boulevard C40. I think that's the newish version of what was the Savage.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Look up Boulevard C40. I think that's the newish version of what was the Savage.
It's the S40.If comparing bikes that are similar in size/weight,you may want to consider the Kawasaki Vulcan 500.A twin cylinder that is much smoother & more powerful than the Savage/S40.It's basically a sport bike engine (ninja) in a cruiser frame.I've had both the Vulcan & the Savage & IMO the savage doesn't hold a candle to the Vulcan.
;) :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
sorry no idea on the size of the back bone

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that heads up Blaine. Seems like it has a narrower backbone than the shadow so it may clear the petcock and power to weight seems to be quite a bit more than either the shadow or savage. I'll take a look at that option.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts