Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 42nd annual Golden Aspen Motorcycle Rally starts next Wednesday, the 14th and continues until Sunday the 18th. A great rally in the cool pines at 7000 ft elevation. Check it out at Golden Aspen Motorcycle Rally Association in Ruidoso, New Mexico

I'm considering riding up for one day on Saturday. Is anyone from the EP/LC/Deming area going up? If you're going just for Saturday, contact me for possible riding up together.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Nice area. But why can't they learn to correctly pronounce the name of their own $%^&*# town?:p

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Well, what baffles me is that ruidoso it is a perfect Spanish word meanng "noisy" from the root word ruido, meaning noise. And it is pronounced just like it looks: roo-ee-doh-so. But from some reason in NM they transpose the first two vowels to make it ree-oo-doh-so.

But they do the same thing in Puyallup, OR. Instead of poo-yallup they say pyoo-allup. And in WA they eat a clam spelled geoduk but called "gooey-duk." and it's not even gooey!

Maybe it's a plot to identify tourists. They always get me.:-D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, what baffles me is that ruidoso it is a perfect Spanish word meanng "noisy" from the root word ruido, meaning noise. And it is pronounced just like it looks: roo-ee-doh-so. But from some reason in NM they transpose the first two vowels to make it ree-oo-doh-so.
Maybe it's a plot to identify tourists. They always get me.:grin:
or like my MIL. she says ree-oo-doh-SA. but then she also leaves off the E in coyote. she pronounces it ky-oat.

locals, what do they know, eh? seems like only us that move here from elsewhere actually pronounce names correctly.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
locals, what do they know, eh? seems like only us that move here from elsewhere actually pronounce names correctly.
Maybe we can set them straight. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I actually like those strange local pronunciations, maybe because I grew up in Ohio where we had Xenia and Gallipolis. I went to college in Athens, OH (pronounced Ay-thens) near Pomeroy (Pum-roy) and Chauncey (Chancey).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grew up in Georgia where they have Cairo, like in Egypt, but pronounced Karo, like the syrup. In Tracy, California, I lived near a road named Corral Hollow (like a horse corral) but most people pronounced it Coral.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Maybe somebody from Mass will weigh in. They get pretty crazy with pronunciations there. I was stationed at Ft. Devens near Boston for a while, close to the town of Ayer (Ay-ah), not far from Leominster (Limmenstah).

And of course there is Worcester, which at least in Ohio is spelled Wooster in a noble attempt at orthographic accuracy, although most outsiders tend to pronounce it like "rooster."

There's a Cairo (like the syrup) in IL, too. I wonder if there is any place where they get it right. Probably not, because Americans seem unanimous in how they say things -- there's a Genoa (Gen-OH-ah) in both OH and NV, 1500 miles apart but united in pronunciation.:-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.