Honda Shadow Forums banner

Anyone Have A Portable Tachometer/Multimeter??

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  smilie 
#1 ·
I'm trying to get my idle RPM to the 1k mark per the manual, but don't have a portable tach to use. I really don't want to buy a $50-100 tach just for this, either...

Anyone near the Metro-Detroit area have one they'd let me use for a few minutes? I would ride over to meet up and tune from there. Literally wouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I just had the same issue. Our local Matco tool guy had a multimeter that came with an inductive pickup. It wasn't anywhere NEAR as cheap as the eBay option, but the Matco meter was also a fully functioning multimeter, and since I only had my Fluke at work and nothing at home, I spent the dough and picked it up.

It's pretty neat, you can set the number of cylinders, 1-12, it'll do Coil-on-plug (not that we need that) and all the other standard functions.

I also rebuild vintage radios, so it was high time I picked one up for the house and stopped transporting the Fluke home.

Just a thought if you might also need a fully functioning meter as well.

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went the cheapo eBay/Amazon route and picked one up for about $12. It's one of those that has a lead to wrap around the spark plug wire and measure RPM's that way.

Hopefully it'll be precise enough to get an accurate measurement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.