Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my idle RPM to the 1k mark per the manual, but don't have a portable tach to use. I really don't want to buy a $50-100 tach just for this, either...

Anyone near the Metro-Detroit area have one they'd let me use for a few minutes? I would ride over to meet up and tune from there. Literally wouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
You can pick up a cheap inductive tach on ebay for about $10.00. Use it to set your idle speed and put in your tool box for next time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just had the same issue. Our local Matco tool guy had a multimeter that came with an inductive pickup. It wasn't anywhere NEAR as cheap as the eBay option, but the Matco meter was also a fully functioning multimeter, and since I only had my Fluke at work and nothing at home, I spent the dough and picked it up.

It's pretty neat, you can set the number of cylinders, 1-12, it'll do Coil-on-plug (not that we need that) and all the other standard functions.

I also rebuild vintage radios, so it was high time I picked one up for the house and stopped transporting the Fluke home.

Just a thought if you might also need a fully functioning meter as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went the cheapo eBay/Amazon route and picked one up for about $12. It's one of those that has a lead to wrap around the spark plug wire and measure RPM's that way.

Hopefully it'll be precise enough to get an accurate measurement.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went the cheapo eBay/Amazon route and picked one up for about $12. It's one of those that has a lead to wrap around the spark plug wire and measure RPM's that way.

Hopefully it'll be precise enough to get an accurate measurement.
That will work for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.