Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my son was talking about wanting an Enduro or new dirt bike & my bud with the Aero 750 wanted my VLX for his wife. So I sold him the VLX this morning for $4500 (well he co-signed for it and we are doing the paperwork for him to take it over) and I plan on buying my son a Enduro,mind you his is only 14 so he don't need a big 650 yet :p His is getting old and raggety and my RM250 is way to tall for him,shoot I'm on my toes on it :lol:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
If he spends a lot of time off-road but still needs something street-legal to get there, a lot of people are saying nice things about the Suzuki DRZ-400.

·
Registered
949 Posts
MikeB said:
If he spends a lot of time off-road but still needs something street-legal to get there, a lot of people are saying nice things about the Suzuki DRZ-400.
Seconded!

I like the enduro cycles, but I don't have trouble reaching the ground with my feet on any motorcycle

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DR200SEK7/Default.aspx

Rode this in the MSF class. The Rebels and what not are too small

·
Registered
462 Posts
Check out the Kawasaki Super Sherpa. I don't think they make them anymore. They have a 250 cc motor and do not sit real high. I about bought one a couple of years ago.

I have also wondered about the 150cc and 200cc Enduros you see coming out of China. Under $1000 for a brand new bike. Hmmmmmm........ Makes you wonder.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a Kaw KLR250 and a Yamaha TW200 collecting dust in the garage. The Yamy is my wife's "learner" bike. She liked it because she could flat foot it. On my Kaw, I'm usually up on the ball of the foot, sometimes flatter depending on how far up towards the tank I sit (32 in. inseem, 200 lbs). Both have gone through the woods just fine and the Kaw has about 4500 road miles (before I got the Honda).

Thing i don't like about the Kaw - I'm getting too old (or just too lazy) to kick start

Thing i don't like about the Yamy - feels a little mini-bike-ish in the handling

Other than that, both bikes have been good to us. They'll probably end up becoming my kids' bikes when they get big enough - unless the wife offs them at the next garage sale :shock:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zman said:
Check out the Kawasaki Super Sherpa. I don't think they make them anymore. They have a 250 cc motor and do not sit real high. I about bought one a couple of years ago.

I have also wondered about the 150cc and 200cc Enduros you see coming out of China. Under $1000 for a brand new bike. Hmmmmmm........ Makes you wonder
saw those to actually,there is a place here that sells them but they kinda look cheesy,would rather go for something I know I can get parts for I think :? I may actually hit the used market,I forgot how much a new dirtbike costs :? My 85 RM250 rocks especially for the $700 I paid for it! :p But then again I want a new 1 for durability issues,ho humm what to do :oops:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
byg_mi said:
I have a Kaw KLR250 and a Yamaha TW200 collecting dust in the garage. The Yamy is my wife's "learner" bike. She liked it because she could flat foot it. On my Kaw, I'm usually up on the ball of the foot, sometimes flatter depending on how far up towards the tank I sit (32 in. inseem, 200 lbs). Both have gone through the woods just fine and the Kaw has about 4500 road miles (before I got the Honda).

Thing i don't like about the Kaw - I'm getting too old (or just too lazy) to kick start

Thing i don't like about the Yamy - feels a little mini-bike-ish in the handling

Other than that, both bikes have been good to us. They'll probably end up becoming my kids' bikes when they get big enough - unless the wife offs them at the next garage sale :shock:
:lol: well if she does give me an idea of what you might look for on it if your close enough :p

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Every new dirt bike that is as fast as your old RM250 sits about 12 feet off the ground. There's nothing that sits lower unless it's a so called play bike. I had a 1979 Yamaha IT250 enduro but made the mistake of letting it go in the late 80's, when I got back into off road riding again I was shocked that I couldn't hardly touch the ground because suspension and ground clearance has increased so much but then again electric start would be a good trade off instead of having to do a side stand kick start every time.

Maybe just spend the money and restore the RM?

·
Registered
342 Posts
You lost me here. Did I miss something? You say he's only 14 years old and he needs something street legal to get him there. Geeezh, he's not even street legal himself. He can't get a driver's license in California until he's 16 and that's only after he completes his high school driver's education and driver's training classes. It looks like you have about 2 years to make your selection of which bike to purchase.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I still have my 1974 Yamaha DT250 which is a great play bike. IMO an enduro is a great bike to learn on. At age 14, I would be tempted to not get him anything bigger than a 250 just so he doesn't get into trouble with the power. I bought my 12 year old son an older Kawasaki 90 which was a nice size for him to learn on, easy to control and not too powerful to get into trouble.

My experience on the older dirt bikes is if you buy them right, you could use it for a few years and sell it for what you bought it for if cared for.

·
Registered
521 Posts
twisty571 said:
byg_mi said:

:lol: well if she does give me an idea of what you might look for on it if your close enough :p
Well, if the dreams of vacant acreage ownership becomes reality this year, then they'll probably get used and therefore kept. But should that dream go down in flames (like so many others :( ) then I'll keep you in mind :wink:

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
twisty571 said:
Anyone have Enduro opinions?
yes, my opinions work equally well on the street and in the dirt.

twisty571 said:
Well my son was talking about wanting an Enduro or new dirt bike & my bud with the Aero 750 wanted my VLX for his wife. So I sold him the VLX this morning for $4500 (well he co-signed for it and we are doing the paperwork for him to take it over) and I plan on buying my son a Enduro,mind you his is only 14 so he don't need a big 650 yet :p His is getting old and raggety and my RM250 is way to tall for him,shoot I'm on my toes on it :lol:
Yamaha's XT225 and TW200 are great machines. Both come in under budget. KTM is probably a *fantastic* choice. they are not cheap. Suzuki has one that's well received. Honda's fundamentally out of the non-competition dirt game. Kawasaki has the little KLR, but... it's a kawasaki. I won't recommend it.

One of the yamahas is going to find its way into my garage in the near future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.