Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. I've been looking at quite a few of them, checked with BBB and online reviews and it seems like its a good course. The reason I'm thinking about doing this is because I am starting to get a variety of bikes and I'd really like to learn as much as I can from home. I do have a mechanical aptitude. I've rebuilt old muscle cars, carbs and pretty much any other kinds of car repair so I know my way around tools and the basics of how combustion engines work. SO I am just curious if anyone else has done this type of training.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
I never gave it much thought....until you r post here.
Even if you learned the right way to do basic maintenance, brakes, electronics, etc. It would be worth it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did the automotice course from NRI back in the 70's. I doubt that I learned much of anything from it, as I had been working on cars for a while then. I think I finished that course in less than 2 months with a 98% average. Was kind of cheap to take and got a few tools, so I felt it wasn't a bad deal.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It would no doubt be helpful, but I'm very much a hands-on learner. I need to get my hands into things and see it disassembled/reassembled to get a really good lesson stuck in my head. I love that youtube has a howto for just about anything these days, it's made being a hobbyist mechanic much easier.

Are these classes typically complete with instructional video or just diagrams and such? This makes me want to look at my community college and see what sort of classes they're offering on the subject... not sure why I never thought to seek out some light formal training.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wow! Two of you have done the Penn Foster course.

I was online last weekend looking into Motorcycle repair/mechanic classes and Penn Foster and Ashworth College are the two that I found.

Would you guys say the Penn Foster course has prepared you for anything more than being a backyard mechanic (hobbyist)? Like would you feel prepared to work in a garage fixing, repairing, rebuilding bikes?

I have a strong inkling that I should take one of these courses.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It has helped me. I took the course about 4 years ago. My family rides quads and I just got my first motorcycle at the end of Sept. 2012. I have been able to troubleshoot problems over the phone with my father in law for the quads. I have made a few hundred $ helping people out since then. I don't ask for money, they usually hide the $ somewhere that I find later. They have to hide it cause they now I won't take it. Most of the time I just help them and get a hand shake and a thank you. That is all I need.

Tcspencer211

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, I am signing up tomorrow. I did some research around here and there are only two places that do bike repair, one is only Harley and Honda, the other has one mechanic that's about 90 years old and the turn around time for even simple jobs is weeks or months. Around here there are tons of bikes. Everything from vintage, crotch rockets, cruisers, etc. And I know many of them do very little wrenching themselves. I did a lot of asking around. I'm getting the tire changes, balancer, compressor, blasting cabinet for soda/sand/bead. I already have all the hands tools, I'll ever need and I can always pickup anything extra I need.

·
Registered
137 Posts
how was the course? i love working on anything with a motor i have worked on my own bikes and worked in a auto/diesel shop for 8 months as well as 2 years of auto shop in high school and also helping my motorcycle mechanic out when he opened his shop i am debating if i want to take penn foster or just keep going into shops and learning as much as i can at little pay

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,461 Posts
7 year old thread will not get much response from them. Here is the website if you want to investigate it.
Don't know about bike mechanics classes there.
There are a ton of free You Tube video that help understand the principles. Check out Motorcycle MD

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh my !
Boredom must be setting in for all of us forumites.
It seems like every thread I click on is some resurrected dinosaur......
I don't know about you, but it's up to 40 out there....I'm going for a ride !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts