Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I discarded my springs. The floor boards will only come up about a 1/2".

So if I take my foot off the board while ridding it will not completely fold up. Easy to put my foot back on the board.

· Registered
30 Posts
I put mine on today and wasnt able to reinstall the o.e springs. The housing is a little diffrent. Is this the norm ?
I just installed the swing wing pegs yesterday. There was one way the OEM spring would fit back in with the 8815 adapters, I worked at it for almost an hour. I finally decided that with the weight of the pegs the spring wasent needed. I can see how the OEM peg needed the spring because it was so light. The swing wing on the other hand is 3 times the weight so it will fall on its own.

· Registered
30 Posts
On my mini wings, i had to grind down the spring length (forgot how much) to get the mini wings to kick up under spring tension like the original pegs.
I am guessing you ground down the straight end that used to stick up through the top of the OEM peg? Looks like it would need to be ground down on the part that wrapped around the bottom of the peg too. I was thinking about trying that but i could not even get the spring to go in enough to put the pin through it.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but to get the springs in, I took the peg plate mounts right off the bike. It was much easier to get the springs in doing it off the bike and on a bench, than trying to do it upside down with them still attached to the bike. Since it was only two bolts a side, I figured it would be much easier.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but to get the springs in, I took the peg plate mounts right off the bike. It was much easier to get the springs in doing it off the bike and on a bench, than trying to do it upside down with them still attached to the bike. Since it was only two bolts a side, I figured it would be much easier.
Explain what the boards do with and without the springs. I dont get it, seems like they only have a couple of inches of travel anyway. Aside from them potentialy flopin but with your foot on them i dont see that happening. Guess what im asking is whats the advantage of installing the springs ??

· Registered
359 Posts
threw the springs in the trash, never had a problem, never gave it another thought. no problems with rattling, thanks to some cobra exhaust, and stereo system. even when I ride with my feet on the highway pegs, and go to place them down to the normal position...... the boards are still there, in place and everything!!!!!

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Explain what the boards do with and without the springs. I dont get it, seems like they only have a couple of inches of travel anyway. Aside from them potentialy flopin but with your foot on them i dont see that happening. Guess what im asking is whats the advantage of installing the springs ??
The springs just help keep the boards down. It's probably quite true that without them, they would still stay down. I just feel more comfortable knowing that if they come up for any reason, the springs will bring them back to where they're supposed to be.

As a general rule, I always try to keep my bike maintained as best as possible. If the original pegs had springs, there's probably a good reason for it. I don't like doing things half a$$ed just because I didn't feel like putting in a couple more minutes to figure it out. Truthfully, it really wasn't that hard to put them in. I'm a bit confused why everyone is having such a hard time putting them back together properly...

· Registered
110 Posts
I had a hard time re-installing my Springs after purchased my mini boards too. I just kept at it, cursed a few times and finally succeeded. The advantage of re-installing them is that once folded up, they push back down. I tried installing without the spring and they were lazy, floppy and didn't have a satisfying finished feel. Hard to explain, but it felt cheap without the springs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.