Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone lower the backend of their bike using the scootworks 1.5 lowering kit? Kind of worried that if I go with the 2.5, I won't be able to get my motorcycle lift/jack underneath the frame.

For those that have lowered the bike 2.5", how much lower is it at the mid point of the bike underneath the frame?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, I can tell you that with the 2.5 kit, it lowers the bike just enough that my bike lift will not roll under the bike. That is easily remedied by rolling the rear tire up on a brick. It gets the frame high enough to get the lift under the bike. :wink:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I installed the rear lowering kit (2.5) a month back, I haven't driven it yet (to cold), although I haven't installed the front yet, I measured the frame to ground and it is one inch lower then stock, The front may lower it more, I'm not sure.

I got my jack from Canadian tire, (made by motomaster) and it still goes under, alittle harder to do, but it still works.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well, my backend did drop a bit when I turned 50, but I never thought to measure how far it dropped :roll: :D

Come to think of it, I've noticed a lot of things that have dropped.

MarkC

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to email Scootworks and asked them the question of frame to ground clearance as I am concerned about this issue.

They responded by saying,

"this kit will not change the frame to ground clearance. There will be no change as you are not changing the property of the shock."

Is that so? How do these lowering kits work? Is the top half of the frame independent to the bottom half?

Anybody else have a different view point?

·
Registered
114 Posts
bikervas said:
I decided to email Scootworks and asked them the question of frame to ground clearance as I am concerned about this issue.

"this kit will not change the frame to ground clearance. There will be no change as you are not changing the property of the shock."

Is that so? How do these lowering kits work? Is the top half of the frame independent to the bottom half?

I would have to disagree with that response. When I lowered my ACE with the SW kit I found that my bike no longer had much "lean" when placed on the sidestand. This tells me that the frame is indeed lowered. In fact, I don't see how this aspect of the bike could otherwise be affected. I only used the rear kit although I bought the front kit as well. HTH

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JimC in NC said:
I would have to disagree with that response. When I lowered my ACE with the SW kit I found that my bike no longer had much "lean" when placed on the sidestand. This tells me that the frame is indeed lowered. In fact, I don't see how this aspect of the bike could otherwise be affected. I only used the rear kit although I bought the front kit as well. HTH
I think that I would agree with you. Having a look at the schematics, the rear tire is bolted to the swingarm which pivots on the frame. The upper shock is connected to the frame which is fixed. I am not sure why Scootworks would suggest this?

Thanks for your $0.02

·
Registered
294 Posts
JimC in NC said:
bikervas said:

It does lower the frame, I like how Scootworks response was that it doesn't lower the frame, and yet when I opened my Front lowering kit they say on the instructions that any lower then 2 inch and the kickstand must be modified.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent an email back to Scootworks asking for clarification:

"Just wondering, I think there is a discrepancy in opinion here -

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41198

Can you please confirm?"

They response was:

"I am checking on this for you-- maybe there is a misunderstanding here on my part. I will get back to you...

Here is clarification on the lowering kit. Hope this helps!!!

If you lower the rear 1-1/2", the engine area will be about half that
(3/4") closer to the ground. If they lower the front and rear 1-1/2",
the engine area will be about 1-1/2" closer to the ground. We've not
had any complaints, out of the thousands of these things we've sold,
about the inability to get bikes on lifts after using our kits."

There it is.

At 10:13 AM 02/18/2007 -0500, you wrote:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i used the scootworks kit and am very happy with it. i adjusted the rear shocks to setting #5 and no bottoming out. mine is the 2.5" setup I can email pics if interested

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up getting the 11" progressive 412's. I thought that I would spend the extra bucks as I like the looks.

Not to slam Scootworks - as the users of this form attest to the fine reputation of the product.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
bikervas
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing