Honda Shadow Forums banner

Anyone recommend a good anti theft device?

5K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  h13man 
#1 ·
We will be on the road for about 4 weeks in the South West and were wondering if anyone could suggest a good anti theft device they have used that could be recommended..........we will be doing Motel/Hotel and I know a lot of them aren't that "motorcycle friendly"...........
Just wondering.............

#3 ·
Insurance,,

Actually I would not worry about your bike getting stolen if you stay in decent places and/or KOAs. IF you must stay in cheap motels, get a bottom floor room and put your bike in your room. I have never had a bike stolen, those were the only precautions I took.

I never had a bike worth stealing. LOL

#8 ·
As instygator said, only I prefer the Glock, when staying in Motels I also ask for a 1st floor room if more than one floor, otherwise I will usually ask at the desk if it's ok to park right by the office where it's lighted, if that's possible, otherwise I also have a cover with me and I do use a Disk Lock with a red ribbon tied at the starter button (just so I don't try to ride off with the disk lock still on..... :oops: ).

#10 ·
I've not had any problems or scares at motels,
even at some pretty cheap places, in my travels,
BUT: I do use a disc lock and take either a chain or
cable with me too...and, if something's there -
a post or tree or whatever - chain it to that too.

A cover may be an added precaution, I suppose...
Peace,
Gord

#14 ·
I have to say this. When I called my insurance ompany (progressive) about reducing my rate, I asked about what I could do for a deduction and they asked about Lojack and Alarm, and they said if I was to have either or, it will only take 6 bucks off my insurance for the year. Not worth it to me.

My opinion, If someone steals your bike, good for them and you, You get a new bike.

#15 ·
+1 i hear lojack is a great thing. i had a bud whos bike had it and it was recovered, unfortunatly it had been laid down by that time.

also im with instygator, i personnally carry a springfield though :twisted:

#16 ·
Insurance, lock your forks. Call it done.

#18 ·
Just a follow up guys....
We did our 4 weeks in Arizona and all points in between with no anti theft devices, guns or worries.....................had so much fun..........every single person we met was real, helpful and truly made our trip an "adventure of a lifetime".........
Sweet desert!..........I wouldn't hesitate to tell any traveler to hit Route 66 and enjoy the whole stretch............we never stayed in one motel that wasn't clean or expensive and every place we stopped will always be remembered............USA ....You Rock!

#20 ·
This past weekend I drove my Wing up to Las Vegas for a business conference there. I stayed one night in a $50/night hotel in Kingman, AZ ... I parked my bike in view of the front desk and it was fine overnight.

What had me worried was parking the bike for four nights in the parking deck of the Rio in Vegas. People coming and going, and Vegas being Vegas ... but again, near as I can figure nobody gave my bike a second look. I had the cover on it and it was completely undisturbed.

A lot depends on your bike. A brand-new Hyabusa is tempting to thieves ... it's relatively light and can be picked up by two guys and a pickup truck. A chromed-out Harley practically begs to be stolen. A Honda Shadow or something like it? Nobody's likely to be too tempted by that.

Try not to worry about it ... take reasonable precautions (lock fork, park in a place that's too conspicuous for thieves) and you'll be okay.

#21 ·
I had to park my bike in some dicey places at times, so I bought an alarm for motorcycles off eBay. The alarm has a motion sensor and remote start and stop function. It's hidden under the seat and is ear piercing loud. I used to have a lot of people sitting on the bike tweaking the controls but since the installation haven't seen that happen but once. That day I heard the alarm going off in a large parking lot and looked out to see a fellow slinking away from the bike very red faced. Cost was about $50 did the install myself. I get a kick starting the bike with the remote, which works up to a block away. Same company now sells a unit that triggers a radio pager that you carry in your pocket (coverage about a mile) letting you know there is some one messing with your scoot.

Doc

#22 ·
We will be on the road for about 4 weeks in the South West and were wondering if anyone could suggest a good tiny anti-theft tracker device they have used that could be recommended..........we will be doing Motel/Hotel and I know a lot of them aren't that "motorcycle friendly"...........
Just wondering.............
This is the method I usually take: chain and GPS. These two measures can prevent more than 90% of thefts, they have successfully protected my motorcycle. With a sufficiently strong chain, Trak-4 is cheap, and spytec is better at accuracy. In contrast, I prefer the more functional spytec, which has more accurate location tracking and SOS functions.

#23 ·
A 12 yr. old thread. If you have a better option, start a new thread in the future that way we see a date appeasing to our view. Hell I wasn't even a member yet that year. Another thought, who the hell wants a Honda over a Harley? So park next to a Harley and/or carry full coverage insurance. Thieves literally pick your bike up and carry it away in a trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.