Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a new helmet. This is the one I am leaning towards. It has the drop down, aviater style sheild . the shield is removeable and you can put on a visor. It has a series of LEDs in the back, an upgrade and extra price of course, that ties in with your brake lights.Price is reasonable Style is what I am after, just curious if anyone has tried it? I am not asking permission or trying to start a screw helmet thread. I know there are tons of helmet threads, yes this is another but give me your input if you know this helmet, if it sucks I need to know before I drop the money on it.
Thanks,
Coop
GMAX GM67 Solid Open Face Motorcycle Helmet

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My original helmet had a bill on it and it got removed within 10 minutes cuz it caught the wind like a sail. Re: face shield - some (depending on mount) can suddenly depart when you turn your head to glance at your blind spots. Happened to a guy in front of us this summer at Napa Valley CA. Consider a clip on safety line if there is any doubt.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have a similar style HJC IS-33, and I like it a lot.

One thing I learned, is that I will not ever, ever, ever, buy a helmet without putting it on my head first. Size charts don't work.
Dan

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Coop,
My wife has a helmet with that type of visor and drop down screen. She really likes it. She does have to watch how she turns her head and make sure it doesnt get into the slipstream the wrong way or it buffetts her head.

Oconeedan,

Did you have any trouble with the Cheekpad section of the outer shell breaking its fasteners. I took mine down to the local shop to look for parts and when I showed them the helmet the one on the shelf was broken in the same place. They called the helmet salesman to ask him about it and he said they quit making it, had no parts for it and gave me an in store credit on the spot.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I hear they are nice, but I would not want it to be tethered to the bike to run with the brake lights.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
full face, fan myself. Modular

I have a HJC Modular for the winter. But it is just so dadgum hot in the summer.

I have a gmax gm54s full face modular with a battery powered red led built into the back of the helmet. I love it so far. I had many many vents and keeps my head cool.
I have one of them too, my first helmet, it is a good helmet, but I have a hard time wearing my RX glasses. So I need to let it become someone elses! Some one want one?

I have a similar style HJC IS-33, and I like it a lot.
One thing I learned, is that I will not ever, ever, ever, buy a helmet without putting it on my head first. Size charts don't work.
Dan

My local shop here carries them, I tried on one size, it was a little too snug, they ordered a gigantic size for me to try on, I will check it out monday.

My wife has a helmet with that type of visor and drop down screen. She really likes it. She does have to watch how she turns her head and make sure it doesnt get into the slipstream the wrong way or it buffetts her head.

I have ridden some with a half helmet, not my favorite style, but it is cooler than the others, it has a visor so I am use to a visor. I just think I would have more protection and options with this helmet than the OLD half helmet.

I hear they are nice, but I would not want it to be tethered to the bike to run with the brake lights.[/QUOTE
]

It is wireless, it hooks into your brake light wiring, sends a signal. If I ride the Bride's ride, I would just set it to flash or stay on.

Thanks for comments and suggestions, keep them coming!
Coop

·
Registered
268 Posts
My gmax also has a sun visor but they did not cut enough out for the nose so mine hits the visor not a big deal just annoying so I wear My prescription sunglasses. I also think looking though 2 pieces of plastic there might be some distortion. My hair gets sweaty but I my face stays cool.

I gave it a lot of thought to go full face or cruiser and if something did happen my head might be ok but my face? I'm also looking on ebay for a used tourmaster intake air mesh jacket.

25 years ago in atlanta it was my honda hawk 400 a pair of shorts and a tee with sneakers no socks. Guess I'm a bit smarter now.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Oconeedan,

Did you have any trouble with the Cheekpad section of the outer shell breaking its fasteners. I took mine down to the local shop to look for parts and when I showed them the helmet the one on the shelf was broken in the same place. They called the helmet salesman to ask him about it and he said they quit making it, had no parts for it and gave me an in store credit on the spot.
So far, no problems with fasteners. It's nice to take the padding out at work when I arrive sweat soaked. This helmet has lots of vents. But it's hotter than a frying pan here.
One thing I'll add, the drop down sun visor is nice, but not quite dark enough. I prefer to wear sunglasses and the visor too. Wish HJC would give us a dark one.
Dan

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have one of them too, my first helmet, it is a good helmet, but I have a hard time wearing my RX glasses. So I need to let it become someone elses! Some one want one?
Coop

What size and how much? Got pics?

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What size and how much? Got pics?
XXL, I have a clear and tinted shield, I paid $135 ish. Revzilla has it for $99. I will take $50 + shipping. Google the helmet for details, I think it has around 19 vents, the LED's in the back can now be swapped over to the same type as the helmet I want so it will work off of the brake lights. Anyone iterested can email me, [email protected] or PM will work too.
Coop

GMax GM68 SPC Solid Helmet

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I have the HJC-IS33 as well and found it to be a very nice helmet. My favorite however, is my Shoei Qwest full-face. It gives me far more options and can not be beat with respect to wind noise. Only drawback, I wear glasses and they must be removed before putting on and taking off. My worst helmets were my half-shells. More noise than not wearing a helmet and very susceptable to crosswinds.
The helmet you are interested in is equipped with a very usefull feature with respect to the sun screen but I have not had the opportunity to try one on.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yeah, I gots a pinhead... S or XS here, depending on the helmet... looks like a good one, though!

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I gots a pinhead... S or XS here, depending on the helmet... looks like a good one, though!
Really, they make them that small? Wow, you have a small tater;)
I have not really tried to sell it, I need to though.
Coop

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, I pulled the trigger on this helmet!

Well after looking around and trying on several helmets I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it! So far after maybe 100 miles I love it, weather has been crappy so I have not racked up a bunch of miles yet but it is GREAT so far.
Coop

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.