Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a clamp on heel shifter?
I need a heel shifter and wondering if they stay clamped on good.

I found a site to order from,

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sorry, I'm too paranoid about bending a shift fork to want a heel shifter... chances of bending one with my toe are a lot less likely. Have one on my 1100 but rarely use it. (A one piece thing, not adjustable.)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just curious, why do you "need" a heel shifter? Most folks with the factory one's end up swapping to the toe shifter or hacking off the back of the stock one - not going the opposite direction. If you're having an issue with boot toe clearance, the shifter is slightly height adjustable.

Now, to go back to your initial question - the one in the photo does not seem like it would hold a clamp or torque very well. For starters, the clamp is not splined so you're relying solely on smooth metal to provide enough grab. Second, you're relying on that little allen screw to compress what looks like the entire assembly to get it tight - I would think that you'd end up stripping that hole out before you could get that tight enough. Just my $.02 since I've never used one of those, but I sure have stripped a ton of bolts so I'm kinda a professional at that :sneaky:

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
304 Posts
I haven't had one since my c90 but I love a heel shifter. The one in the picture looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious, why do you "need" a heel shifter? Most folks with the factory one's end up swapping to the toe shifter or hacking off the back of the stock one - not going the opposite direction. If you're having an issue with boot toe clearance, the shifter is slightly height adjustable.

Now, to go back to your initial question - the one in the photo does not seem like it would hold a clamp or torque very well. For starters, the clamp is not splined so you're relying solely on smooth metal to provide enough grab. Second, you're relying on that little allen screw to compress what looks like the entire assembly to get it tight - I would think that you'd end up stripping that hole out before you could get that tight enough. Just my $.02 since I've never used one of those, but I sure have stripped a ton of bolts so I'm kinda a professional at that :sneaky:
Exactly why I asked, it's smooth and one hex screw, I don't like spending money on something that looks pretty but doesn't work, and for your first question, I have rheumatoid arthritis and the joints in my left (among others) big toe get quite painful after pulling up the shifter, I had made a heel toe shifter for my CB750 and it was just what I needed, and it's looking like I'll have to make one for my ACE.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe that some of the Shadows came stock with a setup like that - not sure which ones, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere. I'd think to stay in place and not leave you sitting at a red light trying to shift, it would need to be splined to match the output shaft so it locks in place, and would ideally be one piece.

·
Registered
710 Posts
1100 Ace T and 1100 Aero did, but they are on a splined shaft. 750 Ace has a linkage rod to the shifter which is on a pivot point on the peg mount. Splines are back on the transmission shifter shaft. Could probably adapt a heel-toe shifter off something else that has it on a pivot point instead of a spline. maybe,,, The one in question may work fine also. might be better it slip than bend or break something... could use a center-punch to work over the clamping area to prevent slipping. poorman's knurling...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Or to better secure a clamp on, drill it and use a cotter pin or bolt etc. to go through the entire shaft and assembly - only downside is that you're basically stuck with something un-adjustable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts