Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Denise, first off, how are you feeling? Secondly have you been able to make any plans for the Rally?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
C Nile said:
Hey Denise, first off, how are you feeling? Secondly have you been able to make any plans for the Rally?
We're going to Mt. Airy. :lol: BTW, no matter what happens between now and October, I'm going to be in Mt. Airy that weekend, so come on down and I'll buy you a drink.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Paulie said:
C Nile said:
We're going to Mt. Airy. :lol: BTW, no matter what happens between now and October, I'm going to be in Mt. Airy that weekend, so come on down and I'll buy you a drink.
Me, too. If all goes as expected, my wife will be riding down on her bike, too. We can improvise if necessary: No doubt we can get rickbb to map out some decent rides. Paulie has already tabbed the Italian restaurant as the spot for one meal. Sadie tells me the Hampton Inn is a decent place.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I'll be there as well, but looking over the web site for the Hampton is this little ditty.....

"We have a large Lyons family reunion in Mt. Airy NC the first weekend of October every year. This motel and it's new addition is so clean, with a large complimentary breakfast area packed full of french toast, cereal, fruit and more. And the perfect place for our group to hang out and chat, with free drinks, cookies & fruit... "

Wonder if they will mind a few folks hanging round drinking beer. lol

If the weather and my job will ever get on the same page I'll ride up to take a look at the place. It is in a nice location to get out of town and do some nice rides.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
With Michael and Doc and Krystal that makes an even six for sure. :lol:

·
Registered
799 Posts
ummm what weekend dates again? and if that is the place we need to jump on reservations its the hight of leaf peeping that time of year isnt it? I did talk to Denise last week wanted to see how she was feeling , she mentioned looking for cabins like last year in that area but i would hate to wait too long to make arrangements, Rick if you want to give her a call and check on that , I didnt want her to be worring about anything while she is trying to recoup I did offer to help her out if she needs anything , I didnt want to be in charge this year but always willing to help out :) ................denise if you are reading this I do hope you are feeling better .... gentle hugs to you

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Given what I've seen in the area, I think hotels make more sense than cabins* -- unless someone knows some good ones. Our group is probably too big for a B&B (except maybe this one). How far from "downtown" Mt Airy are we willing to go, anyway?

Besides the Hampton, Mt Airy has a (new?) Holiday Inn Express and a Quality Inn. The HIE is rated about the same as the Hampton and *might* have lower rates; the QI is rated a little lower but looks to have the same rates. All moot, though, if we're able to negotiate a group rate. (We're already up to 7 or 8 rooms with the list on this thread.) I'd rule out the Knights Inn and Starlite based on what I've seen up close; the Microtel has gotten some pretty bad reviews.

Choices outside of Mt Airy include a Hampton and a Surry in Dobson (16 miles away), a Quality in Pilot Mountain (12 miles away), a Best Western in Bryson (8 miles) and a bunch of places in Hillsville, VA (22 miles). I am sure there a plenty more.

Searching for places on the Internet isn't too hard; checking them out is the important part. Along with having a couple of choices for backup and negotiating a good rate.

* If cabins are important, this might be a good place to start.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Hey, nothing wrong with the Knights Inn and you can't beat $65 a night. Can't beat that desk clerk either. :lol:

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Paulie said:
Hey, nothing wrong with the Knights Inn and you can't beat $65 a night. Can't beat that desk clerk either. :lol:
It wasn't $65. It was way too much for what we got. There's no place out of the sun we could stand around. The place fills up with kids. The "continental breakfast" was neither. And that desk clerk could use a good beating -- but he's probably packing.

The place was fine for our needs that day. But if I have my wife ride 600 miles then stopped there... well it wouldn't be good for me.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
adlowe said:
Paulie said:
It wasn't $65. It was way too much for what we got. There's no place out of the sun we could stand around. The place fills up with kids. The "continental breakfast" was neither. And that desk clerk could use a good beating -- but he's probably packing.

The place was fine for our needs that day. But if I have my wife ride 600 miles then stopped there... well it wouldn't be good for me.
All that may be true, but; in the final analysis, I don't care if your wife gives you a beat down. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
adlowe said:
Paulie said:
All that may be true, but; in the final analysis, I don't care if your wife gives you a beat down. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You will if she uses your bottle of VO to do it!
Ouch, that's a low blow. :lol:

note to myself, get the plastic half gallon. :lol:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
rickbb said:
If it wasn't going to be a 100 here tommorow and Sunday I'd ride up there and look around, but dang thats hot to be in the sun on a all day ride.
mapquest and google will show you where all the hotels are and you never have to break a sweat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts